Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Acer inspire V3 BSOD

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 LxJ

LxJ

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 AM

Posted 10 August 2018 - 10:39 AM

Hi Guys 

Sorry if this has already been covered and please link me to the destination if so but I couldn't find exactly what I was looking for.

I have an old Acer inspire V3 that won't boot. It will either go to the BSOD (Picture attached), after 5-10 mins load screen or just completely restart. I have managed to get it into the bios a couple of times but far from every attempt. 

Now I'm not overly bothered about this laptop as I have my desktop and will be buying a new upgraded laptop in the near future but I would like to build my knowledge of computers and networking primarily. So my main query is how would people go about troubleshooting this? eventually, I'm hoping to know how to troubleshoot my issues and not just follow directions but understand the methodology. I'm willing to spend some money on getting this back up and running as I want to use it as a test laptop so I can continue to break and fix it as I learn  

I managed to find a couple of basic flowcharts online but nothing that really goes into the detail that I'm looking for, so I was hoping the forum might be a better fountain of knowledge. Also having my first post might link me to some good people in the community. 

Look forward to making my own contributions as I learn. 

Thanks

Attached Files

• Attached File  BSOD.jpg   66.27KB   1 downloads

Edited by britechguy, 10 August 2018 - 11:00 AM.
Moved to BSOD forum since this is, after all, about a BSOD

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dmccoy

dmccoy

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 1,195 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 PM

Posted 10 August 2018 - 12:38 PM

Did you do anything prior to this happening or is this what is happening the first time you tried booting this laptop?

Step 1:

First we need to check that your hard drive is being recognized and setup as the first boot device in the bios. Go into the bios and look under the boot section and verify that your hard drive is shown and listed as the first boot device.

Step 2:

If you verify the hard drive is working in step 1, then you need to create a Windows 10 disk as follows.

How to make a bootable DVD or USB via the media creation tool

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Step 3:

Boot with the Windows 10 media you created

At the second Windows Setup screen, choose 'Repair your computer' option

Then select Troubleshoot > Advanced options and Start-up Repair.

Let me know if this fixes your issue or not. If not, we will try other options. Let me know if you have any questions.

We are all volunteers so please by kind, courteous and respectful

I try to respond in 24-48 hours normally and I am more active on weekdays than weekends. However, sometimes due to my health, family or life it may take me a little longer. If you have not heard from me within 72 hours then please PM me a reminder. 

BC BSOD Posting Instructions 

#3 LxJ

LxJ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2018 - 01:54 PM

Thank for your reply. Sorry mine has taken a while. 

So yes when I access the bios the HDD is my first boot priority but there is no description of what the disk drive is. So trying to make things clearer, In my boot order HDD is first but showing as....

HDD:

I am assuming this means the issue is with the hard drive which is what I expected anyway. 

Cheers 

#4 dmccoy

dmccoy

• 1,195 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2018 - 01:57 PM

It sounds like your hard drive is at least being recognized so they may or may not be the problem. Did you follow Steps 2 and 3 above?

I try to respond in 24-48 hours normally and I am more active on weekdays than weekends. However, sometimes due to my health, family or life it may take me a little longer. If you have not heard from me within 72 hours then please PM me a reminder. 

#5 LxJ

LxJ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2018 - 02:12 PM

I'll try steps two and three now.

I've also attached a picture of my boot order for you to see. Looking at this I'm not sure the HDD is being recognized as there is other options which are also not connected.  

Attached Files

#6 dmccoy

dmccoy

• 1,195 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2018 - 02:39 PM

Change the boot order so that Windows Boot Manager is listed first and see if it will boot up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users