Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Linux vs BSD? Which one should I learn and why?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#16 Nicholas_Kang

Nicholas_Kang
  • Topic Starter

• Malware Study Hall Sophomore
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 AM

Posted Yesterday, 09:36 AM

Excellent. I am not using any software that runs on BSD at the moment. Most scientific computing software run on Linux for my case. I am very intrigued by the prospects offered by BSD, especially on security. 

Now I have a plan. I am going to try out OpenBSD, but not on my laptop. I plan to replace the Puppy Linux with OpenBSD on my USB drive. (Sorry Mike. :P I couldn't resist secure systems... especially after joining the Study Hall. )

So, is that (referring to making a bootable USB OpenBSD system):

a ) advisable?

b ) feasible?

Edited by Nicholas_Kang, Yesterday, 09:37 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#17 rufwoof

rufwoof

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 PM

Posted Yesterday, 11:56 AM

There are live boot type versions around such as http://fuguita.org/index.php?FuguIta%2FBBS but IMO inadvisable. The likes of Puppy Linux are better for that, but forego the security. Many proclaim Puppy to be safe/secure, but IMO that's only under exceptional circumstances that typically aren't commonly used. Perhaps your Study Hall might have indicated such misconceptions (first hand I've had it demonstrated just how easy it is to breach into Puppy like systems relatively quickly/easily and whilst persistence has barriers at the software/Puppy OS layer, can be made persistent via other means once root access has been achieved (Puppy runs many programs as root, such that a single bug in any of the programs !!!)). In practice however obscurity/single user/desktop-only makes Puppy less likely to be attacked - but if/when attacked is more inclined to having serious local network issues installed (highly inadvisable to run Puppy behind/on a corporate LAN type structure, only on a isolated LAN segment where you can reinstall the likes of firmware etc. if/when needed). Puppy Linux doesn't even pass a first stage security audit.

OpenBSD

#18 Nicholas_Kang

Nicholas_Kang
  • Topic Starter

• Malware Study Hall Sophomore
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 AM

Posted Yesterday, 06:28 PM

Ok, so for portable usage, it is suggested to use Puppy rather than OpenBSD. 

Study hall doesn't mention anything on Linux yet. :) It focuses more on the Windows side. I study UNIX OSes on my own. But some concepts apply cross-platform, which mean I can catch up faster.

So, I guess I shall install BSD on a virtual machine then. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users