Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Install Particular Software

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 MinterTheMaladroit

MinterTheMaladroit

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 PM

Posted 10 August 2018 - 04:55 AM

Hi,

I tried installing the following programs but could not install any of them: QCMA, psvimgtools, pkg2zip.

• QCMA

I strictly face this error if I attempt to install it via the deb package: Error: Dependency is not satisfiable: libvitamtp5 (>= 2.5.5)

Nothing happens when I run this command:

sudo sh -c "echo 'deb http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/codestation/xUbuntu_18.04/ /' > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/home:codestation.list"

and I get "Unable to locate package qcma" after running these two commands:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install qcma

The output can be found here

• PSVIMGTOOLS

I downloaded the following files, but have no idea how to install it (or if I need to install it to use the program). "psvimgtools-0.1-linux64.zip" and "dump_partials.vpk".

• PKG2ZIP

I downloaded the zip archive " pkg2zip_64bit.zip" but it contained only an exe file, so I removed it and downloaded "Source code (tar.gz)". Then I extracted the folder and ran the lines of code below after cd'ing the path of the file.

./configure
make
make install

First, I got this error: "bash: ./configure: No such file or directory". Then it said "make: Nothing to be done for 'all'." and last but not least got this one: "make: *** No rule to make target 'install'.  Stop.".

For your information, I managed to run the command "make" for one time, but it did not change anything.

Any help is appreciated,

Thank you.

UPDATE: QCMA is installed, but I still need to install the other two programs.

UPDATE 2: I also managed to install psvimgtools. In addition, I installed another app as alternative to pkg2zip. Hence, I need no help anymore, thank you.

Edited by MinterTheMaladroit, 10 August 2018 - 11:45 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,438 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 PM

Posted 10 August 2018 - 05:06 AM

Don't take this the wrong way, but you look like you're employing the Windoze method for obtaining software.....i.e., hunt around the web for what you want.

That's not the recommended way to do things with Linux. Most distros maintain large repositories of software that is guaranteed to work with them, and which is regularly audited to make sure it is malware-free, and, more importantly, remains that way.

However:-

Package (1) :- It looks like an unresolvable dependency problem.....which generally means that particular dependency is not in the official repos.

Package (2) :- Like you, no idea on that one.

Package (3) :- Quite simply, you need the development tools installed to be able to compile from source. I know how that works for my distro ('Puppy' Linux)), but haven't got a clue how you'd go about obtaining it in the mainstream distros. Somebody else should be able to help with that.

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 10 August 2018 - 05:07 AM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#3 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 AM

Posted 10 August 2018 - 05:53 AM

What distro is it that you are running?

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#4 MinterTheMaladroit

MinterTheMaladroit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2018 - 05:56 AM

What distro is it that you are running?

Oh, sorry, I forgot to specify that. I am currently running Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon.

#5 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 8,054 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2018 - 06:57 AM

Nothing happens when I run this command

Do you mean nothing happens that you can see?
Please post the output of this command:
ls /etc/apt/sources.list.d/

...I am currently running Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon.

The packages you are trying to download are from the OpenSUSE repositories. It may be helpful if you explain what you want to do, as someone may know of equivalent software that is already in the Linux Mint repositories, which will be much easier to install.

#6 MinterTheMaladroit

MinterTheMaladroit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2018 - 08:10 AM

Nothing happens when I run this command

Do you mean nothing happens that you can see?
Please post the output of this command:
ls /etc/apt/sources.list.d/

...I am currently running Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon.

The packages you are trying to download are from the OpenSUSE repositories. It may be helpful if you explain what you want to do, as someone may know of equivalent software that is already in the Linux Mint repositories, which will be much easier to install.

You can find the output in this link and I gladly inform you that I managed to install QCMA, leaving 2 apps behind to install.

#7 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 8,054 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2018 - 06:03 AM

UPDATE: QCMA is installed, but I still need to install the other two programs.

UPDATE 2: I also managed to install psvimgtools. In addition, I installed another app as alternative to pkg2zip. Hence, I need no help anymore, thank you.

Thanks for the updates. Pleased to hear you got them installed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users