Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Display Driver Failed to Start

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Leadless

Leadless

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2018 - 04:19 AM

Display driver failed to start; using Microsoft Basic Display Driver instead. Check Windows Update for a newer display driver.

Hello. I keep getting this message when I turn on my pc since this morning. It crashes too if I try to play a game. Can anyone help me? Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,510 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:01:59 AM

Posted 10 August 2018 - 08:17 AM

if it just started today try a system restore to a point yesterday or a few days before,

if that doesn't work, try reinstalling the driver

Edited by mikey11, 10 August 2018 - 08:17 AM.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 PM

Posted 10 August 2018 - 09:15 AM

There are several possibilities for this, one being a Windows 10 update which included a graphics driver which apparently doesn't work well with a number of graphics, or this could be file corruption.  We need more information, for this reason I would request that you do the following.  For the first two requests please provide either a Screen-shot or create a image using the Snipping tool and post these images in your topic.  You can use the instructions immediately below to post these images in your topic.

How to post an image in your topic

Just below the area where you write text in a post there is the Post button, to the right of this is More Reply Options.

posting-options1.png

When you click on More Relpy Options you will see Attach Files and Browse, click on Browse, this will open Pictures on your computer, click on the image you want to post, then click on Attach This File, then Add Reply.

posting-options2.png

We need to know what version and build of Windows 10 you are using.  To determine which version and build of Windows 10 you are running press the Windows key OS4o0pO.png, type in winver, then press Enter.  Post this information in your topic.  Please post the information found there.

Please press the Windows key OS4o0pO.png and the I key to open Settings.

In Settings select Update & Security, then select View update history.

Please create a image of this and post it in your topic.

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download.  The Speccy does not list the PSU used in a computer, if this is a custom build please post the make and model of the PSU.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

LUDoziL.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

speccy2.png

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy3.png 

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Leadless

Leadless
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2018 - 08:03 AM

Sorry for the late reply, had some personal problems.

Attached Files

#5 Leadless

Leadless
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2018 - 08:05 AM

Update history:

Attached Files

#6 Leadless

Leadless
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2018 - 08:16 AM

Hmm, I have a problem while installing Speccy, the .exe closes right after I click on the Install button.

#7 xrobwx

xrobwx

• Members
  • 197 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 PM

Posted 14 August 2018 - 08:57 AM

Update history:

The part that's cutoff, driver updates,could we see those?

Edited by xrobwx, 14 August 2018 - 09:01 AM.

7581204627.png

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2018 - 10:18 AM

Hmm, I have a problem while installing Speccy, the .exe closes right after I click on the Install button.

The Speccy will provide us with a great deal of information about this computer, like what graphics you are running, the version of its driver, temperature, etc.  

I'm not sure I understand what's happening or not happening. 

Were you able to install Speccy?

The end product of the Speccy is a hyperlink which when it is clicked on in your topic will open another webpage with the contents of the Speccy.  For this reason I wonder if you followed the instructions completely.  Please try this again.

There are other programs we could use, but we would have to run several programs to get the information the Speccy can provide.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2018 - 10:25 AM

@ xrobwx

Unless the Speccy link is posted you can't view any of the Speccy except for the main page seen below.  To view any other parts of the Speccy the link needs to be posted.

LUDoziL.png

#10 xrobwx

xrobwx

• Members
  • 197 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 PM

Posted 14 August 2018 - 10:36 AM

Thanks Dc3, I was referring to this screenshot and the drivers Windows installed. I was just interested to see what that was.

screenshot.jpg

Edited by xrobwx, 14 August 2018 - 10:37 AM.

7581204627.png

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2018 - 10:55 AM

:thumbup2:

#12 Leadless

Leadless
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2018 - 02:38 AM

Driver updates:

Attached Files

#13 Leadless

Leadless
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2018 - 02:42 AM

I am not able to install Speccy. When I click on the link it brings me to CCleaner site and I have to click download manually in the site. But, when I click on the Install button in the installation file (spsetup132.exe), it just closes and nothing happens.

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2018 - 09:23 AM

I am not able to install Speccy. When I click on the link it brings me to CCleaner site and I have to click download manually in the site. But, when I click on the Install button in the installation file (spsetup132.exe), it just closes and nothing happens.

CCleaner, Defraggler, Recuva and Speccy are all Piriform products.  Try this download site.  The download should start automatically after a few seconds delay, if it doesn't click on Start Download.

It would appear that you are using a NIVIDA graphics card, what is the model of the card.

Have you tried to update your NVIDIA graphics driver in the Device Manager?

Edited by dc3, 15 August 2018 - 09:30 AM.

#15 Leadless

Leadless
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2018 - 01:45 AM

Still, not able to install. It just closes after I click on the Install button.

Yes, I have tried to reinstalling the driver, updating the driver. Now, it doesn't show the message anymore but after I played a game for like 10 minutes then my PC would crash again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users