Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Using SD card in smartphone

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mrmatt

mrmatt

• Members
  • 178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 AM

Posted 10 August 2018 - 03:22 AM

I have recently bought a 32gb Sandisk microSDHC card.

I have had to use it recently in order to get around a problem updating a satnav device (via this computer), which is now resolved.  We don't need it for that anymore.

I am very new to smartphones, but the intention was once I had finished with the task on the PC, that I could then utilise it in the phone.  There is content on it, but I have not tried to format the card, as I thought it best not to.  I am aware it would be FAT or FAT32, but didn't know, so I left alone.

I don't know now whether it would be possible to format the device on the PC first, and then be able to use it?  Or is that not possible now?

The smartphone is an Alcatel Pixi 4, with an Android operating system.

Can anyone help please?

Edited by mrmatt, 10 August 2018 - 03:23 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,212 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 AM

Posted 10 August 2018 - 03:58 AM

Yeah reformat the sdcard, that way you dont have any possible issues.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#3 mrmatt

mrmatt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 178 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2018 - 08:05 AM

As FAT or FAT32?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,416 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2018 - 08:40 AM

FAT32. Your phone can also format the SD card. There are two options. One to format the SD card as a storage device only which allows you to attach the SD card to a computer to transfer data and the other is to format the SD card as internal to the phone. This lets you transfer apps from the phones internal memory to the SD card but you cannot pull the SD card and attach it to a computer. 

Your menus may be different.

https://support.alcatelonetouch.us/hc/en-us/articles/115005225307-How-can-I-set-up-my-SD-card-

Edited by JohnC_21, 10 August 2018 - 09:17 AM.

#5 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,973 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2018 - 09:11 AM

Also, just for the record, you can format it as exFAT as well.

If you're going to use one of the older FAT formats then use FAT32.

All of the above being said, you can just pop it in to your phone's microSD card tray and have the device format it.  You may not even need to do that, and probably don't.  Just open up File Manager on the device and nuke whatever you don't want or need on it.

I cannot count the number of times I've swapped microSD cards back and forth between a PC and Android phone.  I still do that frequently if I have a massive music transfer I want to do, as it's faster to have the microSD "direct connected" to the PC when doing so (or it always seemed that way, perhaps I'm imagining things).

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#6 winklegiumulyn345

winklegiumulyn345

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 PM

Posted 11 August 2018 - 05:34 PM

I have recently bought a 32gb Sandisk microSDHC card.

I have had to use it recently in order to get around a problem updating a satnav device (via this computer), which is now resolved.  We don't need it for that anymore.

I am very new to smartphones, but the intention was once I had finished with the task on the PC, that I could then utilise it in the phone.  There is content on it, but I have not tried to format the card, as I thought it best not to.  I am aware it would be FAT or FAT32, but didn't know, so I left alone.

I don't know now whether it would be possible to format the device on the PC first, and then be able to use it?  Or is that not possible now?

The smartphone is an Alcatel Pixi 4, with an Android operating system.

Can anyone help please?

You may format it on PC or your mobile gadget. Either way is fine.

#7 mrmatt

mrmatt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 178 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2018 - 04:19 AM

Thank you all for your help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users