Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Driver issue? Or is my GFX card failing?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 panniK

panniK

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 AM

Posted 10 August 2018 - 02:22 AM

So my GPU is a Radeon R7 260. It IS a factory OC card, which I used MSI Afterburner to under-clock it a bit. After about 5 months one of my RAM cards went bad. Removed the bad card and all was fine. Until about 4 moths ago I started getting BSODs pointing to my AMD drivers (windows 7). This would only happen about once every couple weeks. Then one day, constant BSODs on startup, still pointing to my AMD drivers. I decided to upgrade to Windows 10 after 3 hours of trying to get my PC started, thinking maybe it was a bootleg copy of Windows 7 causing driver issues. *NOTE my motherboard doesn't have on-board gfx.* 

Was able to successfully install Windows 10, everything started up fine, and Windows installed "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter." Thinking all was fine I downloaded my favorite PC games at the time (PUBG and Fortnite),they installed fine but attempting to run Fortnite I got an error "DX11 feature level 10.0 is required to run the engine", knowing this meant I needed to update my video drivers, then proceeded to update them to AMD Adrenaline (18.x) Drivers, and then I received a Windows 10 BSOD "THREAD STUCK IN DEVICE DRIVER" about 70% of the way through the driver install, the part where the monitor flashes to a black screen then back to your desktop. PC then restarted and went through its self repair because of the blue screen. It restored it to right before I updated the video driver. Did some google searching to find out what the problem was and still pointed to my video driver (obviously).

Thinking my PC was just a brick I used it only for viewing news and Facebook. Until one day i became bored and tried to watch a stream in 1080p, which I was able to, to my surprise. A buddy of mine about a month later who plays on a WoW Private Server and offered me to come play, told him about the situation with my PC, he goes on a rant on how old the game was, blah blah blah. I decided to give it a try, and truth be told it works (about 22-38 FPS lowest settings 1360x768 resolution). Thinking all was fixed I tried Fortnite again and received the DX11 error again, tried updating video driver again, and the same BSOD "THREAD STUCK IN DEVICE DRIVER". Windows 10 restored itself to right before updating the video driver again. Used DDU to clean drivers (in safe mode) then windows reinstalled the basic display adapter.

I have tried almost everything I can think of to resolve this issue, re-seating card, using another PCI slot, making sure PSU was properly working. Any help would be greatly appreciated, this has been an on-going issue now and I would like to know if it is software or hardware issue before buying or replacing the card.

UPDATE:

DXDIAG log link: https://pastebin.com/LpzqEepz
HWiNFO log link: https://pastebin.com/yyzmjhAB

Edited by panniK, 10 August 2018 - 02:27 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,051 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2018 - 02:45 AM

Yeah sounds like a failing GPU at the very least

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#3 panniK

panniK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2018 - 02:53 AM

Wheres your proof? Any reason or idea as to why? It doesn't make sense being able to play WoW (that requires updated drivers), yet unable to update the drivers themselves?

#4 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,051 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2018 - 02:57 AM

Well the BSOD's are a bit of a clue granted though it could just be driver issues as you stated.

But age is a factor I am looking at, is the GPU also from MSI?

Edited by MadmanRB, 10 August 2018 - 02:59 AM.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#5 panniK

panniK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2018 - 03:01 AM

CPU:  AMD  FX-6300 (6 Core)

Motherboard: Gigabyte  DS3P-970A  Rev1

Video Card:  Gigabyte Radeon R7 260x https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwjWqJuUg-LcAhWdusAKHVHSBh0YABABGgJpbQ&ohost=www.google.com&cid=CAESEeD2jN81FFzpyiNGAEzJ2Gla&sig=AOD64_2IWMKI9F7JaR961yyIjgFd1dfMXQ&ctype=5&q=&ved=0ahUKEwixwJSUg-LcAhURSq0KHSYmBnsQ9aACCDA&adurl=https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwjWqJuUg-LcAhWdusAKHVHSBh0YABABGgJpbQ&ohost=www.google.com&cid=CAESEeD2jN81FFzpyiNGAEzJ2Gla&sig=AOD64_2IWMKI9F7JaR961yyIjgFd1dfMXQ&ctype=5&q=&ved=0ahUKEwixwJSUg-LcAhURSq0KHSYmBnsQ9aACCDA&adurl=

Edited by panniK, 10 August 2018 - 03:05 AM.

#6 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,051 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2018 - 03:08 AM

Well could very well just be drivers, but you have not experienced any whining issues?

Is the card free of dust?

I am just asking to ensure it really isnt a hardware issue, I mean anything is possible as sometimes capacitors fail in time.

Not saying hit the panic button yet mind you, but you did mention you had a stick of RAM fail

Edited by MadmanRB, 10 August 2018 - 03:09 AM.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#7 panniK

panniK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2018 - 03:11 AM

I have cleaned it, it is dust free. Fans are plugged in, and fans spin like they should.

I haven't heard anything unusual coming from the card or PC itself, if that is what you mean by whining issues.

#8 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,051 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2018 - 03:29 AM

Thats good to know :D

Anyhow I would keep my eye on it just in case, I mean the bluescreens on windows can simply just be bluescreens.

But sometimes they are a indicator of a more serious issue.

Mind you this is all guess work in the end but i had to check out how you maintained your hardware and make you aware that sometimes parts just go bad.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#9 panniK

panniK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2018 - 03:34 AM

No problem. I understand that they do. Just trying to figure out if its really a driver issue or not.

Just tried  running WoW after a long time. Gave me an error after immediate crash, google searched the error code and says I need to update my drivers.

Knowing that it was working, I just simply restarted my PC and it works again . . . WTF is going on.

#10 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,051 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2018 - 03:36 AM

Well there is one other thing to consier... you are using windows 10 with the old AMD drivers.

Sadly old AMD drivers have been a bit of an issue and it may be better off using open source drivers

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#11 panniK

panniK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2018 - 03:46 AM

I currently have no manually installed drivers on the PC. Searched windows updates and found this:

BiFBvof.jpg​

Yes I am using Windows 10 (64 bit). 

#12 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,051 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2018 - 03:54 AM

could have just loaded the windows drivers then, windows 10 has had some issues with that for some.

Its really a coin toss here sadly

I mean you could try the windows 7 drivers but if that would work i cannot say

Edited by MadmanRB, 10 August 2018 - 03:56 AM.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#13 panniK

panniK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2018 - 04:00 AM

So even if I do replace the card, I still may run into this problem?

#14 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,051 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2018 - 10:01 AM

Not necessarily, a newer card could still solve the issue.

The thing is AMD did unfortunately drop the ball on support for older cards thus is the only reason why Nvidia is better as their drivers still support older cards.

granted now AMD is fully into creating new drivers and have made most drivers open source and that is a good thing, but alas some older cards may no longer work properly due to AMD's misstep 

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#15 panniK

panniK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2018 - 07:20 PM

Thank you for your advice. I'll try looking into open source drivers or try to find which driver came on the disc when I bought the card.

I remember CCC.exe and MOM.exe as the AMD software used at the time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users