Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HDD to SSD part 2

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 co1615

co1615

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 PM

Posted 09 August 2018 - 07:52 PM

Recently swapped out HDD for a SSD as the main drive. Fresh install of 8.1. Copied a few program folders over to the SSD. Haven't tried all, but what I have work. Formatted old HDD externally, showed unallocated full amount. Assigned letter "F" to it. Placed it internal & it didn't show up until after a few reboots. Didn't do anything with it last night. Today, I want to start copying a couple of programs from the SSD back to it & then latter some from a back up on another external drive. When I left click on the "F" drive it will open. When I right click or click on any of the up top tabs, it hangs with a "not responding" note. I tried to go into disk management but it wouldn't open. I then tried device manager, same thing. Now if I right click on the start button nothing pops up. I did get an error message while typing this but couldn't access the snipping tool to copy until I cleared the message. I will do it again & copy. Not sure what the deal is, but it's aggravating!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 PM

Posted 10 August 2018 - 10:08 AM

Why did you remove the hdd to format it rather than doing in Windows 8.1 in that computer?

How did you format the hdd?

Does the drive show up in Disk Management or the BIOS?  When you open Disk Management please create a screenshot or a image using the Snipping Tool and post this in your topic.

How to post an image in your topic

Just below the area where you write text in a post there is the Post button, to the right of this is More Reply Options.

posting-options1.png

When you click on More Relpy Options you will see Attach Files and Browse, click on Browse, this will open Pictures on your computer, click on the image you want to post, then click on Attach This File, then Add Reply.

posting-options2.png

Why did you assign a drive letter to the hdd rather than allowing Windows to assign a drive letter and then change it to whatever you want afterward?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 co1615

co1615
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2018 - 01:00 PM

I removed the drive because it was trying the use that as the master instead of the new ssd. I formatted it connected through usb & using Disk Management. I did it this way based on a video I found while searching for help. It said to use gpt instead of mbr & to assign a letter after the initial format.

Since posting, I have done another clean install on the ssd of 8.1. Instead of copying folders/programs, I am doing fresh installs of all games/programs also. I will only copy my music/pics/vids/docs.

I just plugged in the old hdd, restarted ,& it isn't displaying in file explorer/disk management/device manager. I've attached the snip.

Your thoughts?

Attached Files

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2018 - 01:09 PM

The image of the Disk Management shows the system reserve partition and the operating system on Drive C:.  Is this the hdd or the ssd?

Edited by dc3, 10 August 2018 - 01:11 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 co1615

co1615
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2018 - 01:23 PM

That is the ssd with the hdd also plugged in & not showing.

#6 co1615

co1615
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2018 - 09:31 AM

I pulled the hdd out again & did another external usb format, this time not a quick format like the last. I didn't assign a letter, it used "D" while plugged in. Started it last night, it was done this morning. Put it back in the pc & it still does not show anywhere??

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2018 - 09:42 AM

Does this hdd show up in the BIOS?

Have you checked the data and power cable connections?

Can you hear the hdd spin up?

#8 co1615

co1615
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2018 - 10:18 AM

Restarted, Bios shows Sata 0 & Sata 3 along with the DVD drive. I enabled Boot Logging but am not sure what all that shows or where it lives. I now show the drive as "D" in all the previously mentioned locations. I did notice in Disk Management that the bottom "Stripes" only show the ssd & not the hdd. Does this mean something still needs to be done? I've attached images of Device Manager & Disk Management.

Attached Files

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2018 - 10:30 AM

It does show that the hdd has been formatted for NTFS files and has 100% free space on the drive.  It is also recognized under Disk drives.  

What kind of programs are you trying to install on the hdd?

How are you installing the programs on the hdd?

#10 co1615

co1615
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2018 - 10:46 AM

I haven't tried installing anything since the latest format. I plan on putting most everything onto it. I currently have Firefox,Security & Office on the ssd. I may add a game and Steam?

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2018 - 10:51 AM

What you add to the hdd or the ssd is up to you, but I would suggest keeping the operating system on the ssd and keep your other programs on the hdd since the ssd is limited in space.

It sounds like you have this under control.  Let us know if you experience any other problems.

#12 co1615

co1615
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2018 - 11:09 AM

OK, thanks. I have restarted since the last post & it still shows! I've added folders & it appears to be working. Hopefully I won't have to revisit this thread. I appreciate the help, dc3!

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2018 - 11:13 AM

:thumbup2:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users