Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What Are the "install xx.swm" Files in My Recovery Drive?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 skuddle

skuddle

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 AM

Posted 09 August 2018 - 04:15 PM

I am running Windows 10 with the latest updates (up to June 2018). I tried to copy the contents of my Recovery Drive (on drive X:) and get the following errors on several of the "install xx.swm) files. "xx" means 11 through 16, 19, 2, 20, 22 and probably several other files. I am doing this in order to make an emergency boot drive on a USB stick.

The error is: 0x80004001, but I can't recall what the message says. Something about "not available", or something like that.

Can anybody help me here?

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 09 August 2018 - 05:12 PM.
Moved from Win 10 Discussion to Support.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 AM

Posted 10 August 2018 - 11:48 AM

You can create a recovery drive for this purpose.

A recovery drive can help you troubleshoot and fix problems with your PC, even if it won’t start. To create one, all you need is a USB drive.

Open Search (the magnifying glass is the icon for Search) in the Taskbar and type Create a recovery drive, under Best Match click on Create a recovery drive.  Click on Next and follow the prompts.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 skuddle

skuddle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 AM

Posted 11 August 2018 - 10:25 AM

Thank you very much for your reply.

I did what you said and now I have a recovery drive on my stick. I also made one for the wife's computer.

Don't know why I couldn't just copy from the X partition on my hard drive to the stick. I couldn't find any of the install files in that partition by using Windows Explorer. All I got was a warning message when I looked for them in the "Preload" folder (or whatever it is). However, I could see the file names in the Preload thingy when I used the "Everything" search tool.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 AM

Posted 11 August 2018 - 10:36 AM

Don't know why I couldn't just copy from the X partition on my hard drive to the stick.

There are actually two partitions created when Windows is installed.  There is the main installation of the operating system, but you also have the System Reserved partition.  The System Reserved partition holds the Boot Manager code and the Boot Configuration Database.  You have to make a full installation to include the System Reserved partition.  This is why just adding the files doesn't provide a complete installation.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users