Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Merge networks

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Terry Smith

Terry Smith

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 PM

Posted 09 August 2018 - 03:52 PM

I will try to keep this description brief as there are many factors and the details might get us away from any actual answers:

One of my clients is a library.  This library is part of a province-wide network of libraries that share numerous resources and internet connectivity.  For use of a number of programs it is mandatory that the library use this network.  When the network of libraries was originally set up part of its mission was to provide high-speed internet access to all libraries.  That was a long time ago and high speed then is a big bottle-neck now as the whole of our library is only allowed 10 MB down.  With 20+ staff and public computer use this is a struggle.

We have access to a fiber-optic internet connection which I have set up all public-use computers (basically any user that doesn't need access to the internal inratnet) on, lightening the load a little but still we are seeing issues.

Here is the question - Is there a way for me to blend these 2 networks and set up routing with regard to web traffic, directing only the intranet site requests over the old intranet connection and all other web requests to the Fiber line?  I have worked with a load-balancer for other clients before but to my understanding that's really a tool for spreading all requests between 2 internet connections, not so much specifically routing them.

Any help would be surely appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orecomm

Orecomm

• Members
  • 266 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 PM

Posted 11 August 2018 - 11:31 PM

If all there is to it is what you have described, then this is an easy one. You will need a router with at least 3 ports (physical or logical, such as VLAN ports, would work) Set up your outside access as the default route. - 0.0.0.0/0 - with a route cost (metric) of at least 2, and the gateway provided by your local ISP. Define the other library subnets (can probably be aggregated into a single large CIDR block. If all of them are using the same private address block, like a 10.x.x.x or 172.16-32.x.x you can safely use the entire block, since your locally attached, more explicitly defined subnet would take precedence) and point that over your existing inter-library link. If there is a routing protocol running between libraries you may need to install a route filter so you don't advertise your nice fast route to the Internet to all the rest of the libraries as well, and suck all their traffic through your pipe. The third port of your router is your local LAN. The specifics depend on the brand and model of router. Inter-Library traffic will use the library link, everything Internetish will use the outside path.

#3 Terry Smith

Terry Smith
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 PM

Posted 14 August 2018 - 12:41 PM

Good Day Orecomm!  Thanks for your detailed advice.  Though I am a practiced IT professional I'm not formally educated so some of the terms you've got here will require some reading up on my part.  I think I follow most of what you've suggested here and can pull it off.  I'll need to contact the organization responsible for the inter-library link in order to discover their routing specifications so I can work around them.

Our current router is a TP-Link TL-R600VPN purchased about a year ago.  Is there a specific router/class of router you might recommend?  Is there a protocol it mite need to support?

I'll report in here with any progress I make on this and, if you're willing, I'll pick your brain should I run into any issues.

Thanks again!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users