Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 - Cannot connect to Network

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 gj62

gj62

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 AM

Posted 09 August 2018 - 03:23 PM

Dell Desktop - had been working fine via Wireless connection.  About a week ago I started being unable to stay connected to my home WiFi.  Here is what I have tried -

-Unplug modem and computer for at least 10 seconds and restart (many restarts)
- WiFi connects after a restart, and I can browse for a minute or so, then acts as if it is not connected
- Disabled WiFi adapter, tried the internal wired adapter (says unidentified network)
- Disabled WiFi adapter, tried an Amazon Basics USB->Ethernet adapter (says unidentified network)
-Tried different ethernet cord and different port on both hub and directly to the modem. 
-Uninstall and reinstall all network devices and update drivers all followed by restarts
-a virus scan(nothing found)
-Disable ipv6 - no apparent change

Not sure what else you need - but anything I can provide please just let me know -

Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 790 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 AM

Posted 10 August 2018 - 05:51 PM

run some malware/adware removal software like malwarbytes & adcleaner.  see if they find anything, if they do then have them remove infections and reboot system.

pretty common issues with malware/adware/coin mining software running in the background that can cause all kinds of connection issues.

it's a starting point

#3 dmccoyks

dmccoyks

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 531 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 AM

Posted 11 August 2018 - 11:54 AM

Download MiniToolBox and save it to your desktop
  • Right click on program and select Run as Administrator
  • Select to Run All options
  • Click Go and wait patiently
  • After it completes (a reboot may be needed)
  • MTB.txt will be saved on your desktop
  • Upload MTB.txt file to your next reply

#4 xovolarjem

xovolarjem

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 PM

Posted 11 August 2018 - 04:25 PM

Faced the exact same issue few days back and then installed driver updater and updated all drives, now working fine and smooth.

With Regards,

Xovo Larjem

#5 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 AM

Posted 11 August 2018 - 06:25 PM

Hi, DO NOT install driver updater, or for that matter any third party driver utils. You see they canvas the web just like you can and they find drivers and develop a database. Unfortunately many drivers (particularly those that are used in OEM machines) have been tweaked by the manufacturer, and unless it is specifically designed for your unit, it is often not going to be the right driver, far too many people have been caught out like this.  

You should NOT get drivers from Windows Updates, you should NOT get drivers from Device manager, You should NOT get drivers from third party downloads. It is only a matter of time before problems will arise (driver verification catch's many out).

You should go to the developers site OR to the manufacturers site for your driver downloads.Identify your machine and get the latest and correct drivers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users