Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bootable usb problem

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 hellhound

hellhound

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 AM

Posted 09 August 2018 - 09:41 AM

Hello!I have a really annoying problem witn my usb flash drive....and my hdd.

My intention: To install windows 10 on my laptop.

The problems: Where should i start...
1)I downloaded the media creation tool from microsoft and made a bootable usb,but got the 0x8007025D error code.

My usb has some problem or something because i can t install any version of windows from it,it somehow gives errors allways so i gave up on that.

2)I have a seagate external hdd that i tried to make bootable,it didn't work.

Since i can t use my laptop because i formated it i have another one with xp on it.The win dvd tool does not see hdd external drives so i said why not use some cmd tricks i found online.

Went and ran cmd ,diskpart,formatted hdd as ntfs,marked partition as active,copied the files from iso win 10 to it and when booting says "ntldr is missing".

3)I even tried making an image with rufus on that usb but it doesn't work.It says press key to boot from usb but beeps when i press something and the sais system can t be found.I belive that it is only the ysb at fault here because it worked from an sd card.

I found that to resolve it you need to run this from boot directory "bootsect /n60 usbdrive" but when running the command it sais bootsect.exe is not a valid win32 application since i m on a crapy win xp laptop.

So I m stuck in this annoying loop of darkness where i try to get something bootable for my laptop but i only have an useless usb ,an external hdd that i cannot
use and an sd card with adapter but not big enough for win 10 nor able to be used because the xp laptop does not have sd card reader.

The laptop i want win 10 on,had it in the past and worked fine:
Acer Aspire 5742zg, pentium p6200 2.13 ghz,4gb ram,nvidia 610m 1 gb

The laptop i use for this recovery and that works now......
Acer Aspire 5315 ,processor(some celeron or smth) ,2gb ddr2,win xp

What is the difference between a snowman and a snowwoman?

Snowballs.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,444 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 AM

Posted 09 August 2018 - 09:57 AM

What is the make and model of the laptop?

Use the Windows Media Creation to to download an iso file, not create the USB flash drive. After you have the iso file use Rufus to create the bootable USB flash drive.

Depending on whether your computer has UEFI firmware or legacy BIOS would determine what partition scheme to select in Rufus. GPT for UEFI or MBR for legacy.

Once to determine GPT or MBR leave all boxes as checked. Click the Select button and browse to the iso file. Press Start.

After booting the flash drive do a clean install using the BC guide. See the pinned post in this forum. For a UEFI computer your diskpart command would be convert GPT. For legacy BIO it's convert MBR.

https://rufus.akeo.ie/

Edited by JohnC_21, 09 August 2018 - 09:57 AM.

#3 hellhound

hellhound
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2018 - 10:14 AM

Use the Windows Media Creation to to download an iso file, not create the USB flash drive. After you have the iso file use Rufus to create the bootable USB flash drive.

Depending on whether your computer has UEFI firmware or legacy BIOS would determine what partition scheme to select in Rufus. GPT for UEFI or MBR for legacy.

Once to determine GPT or MBR leave all boxes as checked. Click the Select button and browse to the iso file. Press Start.

After booting the flash drive do a clean install using the BC guide. See the pinned post in this forum. For a UEFI computer your diskpart command would be convert GPT. For legacy BIO it's convert MBR.

Thanks for reply John,but i did use this tool to download the iso as well ,it does not work.My computer uses legacy and it is indeed mbr.The problem is that it gives me that error code while using the usb and the hdd can t be used for booting.

Snowballs.

#4 hellhound

hellhound
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2018 - 10:15 AM

Thanks for reply John,but i did use this tool to download the iso as well ,it does not work.My computer uses legacy and it is indeed mbr.The problem is that it gives me that error code while using the usb and the hdd can t be used for booting.
I ve used both rufus and win dvd tool in the past and it simply does not work this time.

Snowballs.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,444 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2018 - 10:18 AM

What is the make and model of the computer?

#6 hellhound

hellhound
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2018 - 10:31 AM

What is the make and model of the computer?

Acer Aspire 5742ZG
Pentium p6200 2.13 ghz (dual)
Intel hd graphics + Nvidia Geforce 610m
4gb ddr3
500 gb hdd

Snowballs.

#7 dmccoy

dmccoy

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 1,053 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 AM

Posted 09 August 2018 - 10:36 AM

Connect your USB to a USB 2.0 port. Then try continuously pressing F8 while booting and it should bring up the boot menu to allow you select your USB to boot.

We are all volunteers so please by kind, courteous and respectful of all staff and members

I try to respond in 24-48 hours normally and I am more active on weekdays than weekends. However, sometimes due to my health, family or life it may take me a little longer. If you have not heard from me within 72 hours then please PM me a reminder. 

BC BSOD Posting Instructions 

#8 hellhound

hellhound
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2018 - 10:43 AM

Connect your USB to a USB 2.0 port. Then try continuously pressing F8 while booting and it should bring up the boot menu to allow you select your USB to boot.

I don t want to be mean but please read my post.I never tried an upgrade,i prefer a clean install.So of course i allways boot from usb,it is f12 to bring up boot menu.The error code i talk about appears only during a clean install.

Snowballs.

#9 hellhound

hellhound
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2018 - 10:45 AM

I don t want to be mean but please read my post.I never tried an upgrade,i prefer a clean install.So of course i allways boot from usb,it is f12 to bring up boot menu.The error code i talk about appears only during a clean install.
Perhaps i made my message misunderstood,it is after making the bootable image ,during instalation from boot that i get that error code,not while creating the image.

Snowballs.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,444 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2018 - 10:57 AM

Do you get this error if you do the following?

Boot the USB of Windows. When you get to the page asking for language press the Shift + F10 key to open a command prompt. Type the following commands

list disk

select disk X    X being the disk number of you hard drive you wish to install Windows to. This will be zero on a one disk laptop

clean all           This will zero wipe the drive. It will take awhile and will be done when you see the diskpart prompt appear.

convert mbr      If this gives an error ignore it.

exit                    Exit diskpart

exit                    Exit command prompt

Edit: Windows will automatically partition and format the drive for you. When you get to the Upgrade or Customize Window select Customize where you will see your drive. Click next.

continue with the clean install.

If this computer has an existing OS like Windows 7 or 8 I would create a complete disk image to a USB external drive in case the install of Windows 10 give you a problem.This can be done with programs like Macrium Free, Aomei Backupper Standard, or Easeus Todo Backup. I would also create the bootable USB flash drive of the program each lets you do. If Windows 10 fails you can boot the USB and recover the image from your USB external drive.

Edited by JohnC_21, 09 August 2018 - 11:00 AM.

#11 dmccoy

dmccoy

• 1,053 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2018 - 11:13 AM

I guess I misunderstood your message. I thought you meant you could not boot with either media.

John_C21 method should work for you.

We are all volunteers so please by kind, courteous and respectful of all staff and members

I try to respond in 24-48 hours normally and I am more active on weekdays than weekends. However, sometimes due to my health, family or life it may take me a little longer. If you have not heard from me within 72 hours then please PM me a reminder. 

#12 hellhound

hellhound
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2018 - 11:22 AM

Do you get this error if you do the following?

Boot the USB of Windows. When you get to the page asking for language press the Shift + F10 key to open a command prompt. Type the following commands

list disk
select disk X    X being the disk number of you hard drive you wish to install Windows to. This will be zero on a one disk laptop
clean all           This will zero wipe the drive. It will take awhile and will be done when you see the diskpart prompt appear.
convert mbr      If this gives an error ignore it.
exit                    Exit diskpart
exit                    Exit command prompt

Edit: Windows will automatically partition and format the drive for you. When you get to the Upgrade or Customize Window select Customize where you will see your drive. Click next.

continue with the clean install.

If this computer has an existing OS like Windows 7 or 8 I would create a complete disk image to a USB external drive in case the install of Windows 10 give you a problem.This can be done with programs like Macrium Free, Aomei Backupper Standard, or Easeus Todo Backup. I would also create the bootable USB flash drive of the program each lets you do. If Windows 10 fails you can boot the USB and recover the image from your USB external drive.

I ve done that shift f10 cmd thing and it still shows that code,but my question is,can i install windows from external hdd?Do you know of any program that lets me create an image to hdd?
I don t have an os anymore ,just another crappy laptop with xp on it.
V is the win image and F is the hdd with win files on it (the one with ntldr is missing).

Attached Files

Edited by hellhound, 09 August 2018 - 11:32 AM.

Snowballs.

#13 dmccoy

dmccoy

• 1,053 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2018 - 11:39 AM

This guide will allow you to test if your Windows USB is bootable and working properly.

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/check-if-usb-is-bootable-windows

How to install from External HDD:

https://www.intowindows.com/install-windows-8-from-external-hard-drive/

When exactly do you see the error message you mentioned?

#14 hellhound

hellhound
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2018 - 11:45 AM

This guide will allow you to test if your Windows USB is bootable and working properly.

Well,about the tutorial on hdd,i already tried and the bootsect.exe is not a valid wine32 aplication pops up,as shown in the photo and the other one during a clean install says windows could not be installed ,error code 0x8007025D to which john s solution with convert mbr does not work.It is indeed a nasty problem.

Snowballs.

#15 hellhound

hellhound
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2018 - 11:52 AM

With the virtual machine tutorial you sent i get the ntldr is missing on my hard drive and my usb(i tried to make another image and said bootsect can t be used) is the same but the iso image itself is good.

Snowballs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users