Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to patch up my split charger.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 techphobe

techphobe

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 PM

Posted 09 August 2018 - 07:16 AM

Apparently this is quite a common problem, especially near the connector like mine? (don't seem to be able to upload pics but it's similar to the link) Old link, but still. https://www.cultofmac.com/128714/apple-introduces-magsafe-adapter-replacement-program/

The last update was 2016, but it seems to suggest you might be able to get it replaced even if out of warranty (mine's just a few months past) as they're pretty expensive. I'm away at the moment, but in the meantime I've wrapped the split with some rubber, will be that be okay for now? People say cover the split with insulating tape, but there are thin copper wires exposed, and if I put tape straight over them I fear they'll rip if the tape comes off, so I think my solution is better though I might be wrong. 

Edited by techphobe, 09 August 2018 - 07:18 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,098 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 PM

Posted 10 August 2018 - 04:55 PM

That image looks pretty  horrible !

If that was on the input side, ie the public electricity supply side, I would say bin it. No ifs, buts or maybes - bin it now !  But it is on the low voltage side so insulating tape or your rubber solution should be good enough until you can get a more permanent fix. It does depend to some extent on the cable construction. Some cables are constructed of an insulated core carrying the live or +V supply with the ground return constructed as a braid around this, with the outer insulation wrapped around the whole lot. If this is case the wires you see are part of this braid and are at 0V potential and you are safe just wrapping some extra insulation around it.

Others have two insulated conducting cores and bare wire strands could come from either, or both in which case wrapping extra insulation around would not prevent an internal short. But if this happened I would expect either the fuse in the wall plug to have blown or the charging unit to have shut down due to internal protection.

I would still reccommend replacing it at the earliest opportunity, especially if you can get it replaced at Apple's expense !

Chirs Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users