Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My computer freezes then goes black for about 5 seconds and then comes back.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Niksonrex

Niksonrex

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 PM

Posted 08 August 2018 - 01:37 PM

I got this problem when i installed a new gpu. I wanted some gpu that could handle dx12 games so i got the gt730 1gb gddr5 Oc version. I first noticed this problem when i tried watching videos. Be it youtube or some movie on my hard drive. So its not google. I swapped back to my original gpu and everything works fine. So its not the cable nor the monitor. I then swapped from the vga port to the dvi one on the gpu and it still happenes. I tried some things in the nvidia control panel but none of them fixed my problem. Now it started happening even when im just browsing the net. The weird thing is that it doesnt happen in games. Like usually it happens every 10 minutes but i played dark souls 2 for like 6 hours and nothing happened. Im pretty puzzled. I tried the newest drivers and the ones i got with the gpu on the cd drive and the problem is still there. I even tried servicing the gpu but the shop found no problems. The only thing i am left with is using the second pcie slot on my motherboard but i read that could slow the gpu down cause it wont get all the power but ill do it if i have to.

My specs:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 overclocked to 2.91Ghz

8GB ddr2 800mhz ram

Asus P5K Mobo

400W psu 

and the gpu i mentioned above. 

The gpu that i originally had and that works normally is an hd 2600 xt 256mb.

Edited by Niksonrex, 08 August 2018 - 01:38 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 PM

Posted 08 August 2018 - 07:52 PM

I think your PSU is marginal, just not enough poop under a load!

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 Niksonrex

Niksonrex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 PM

Posted 08 August 2018 - 08:53 PM

I think your PSU is marginal, just not enough poop under a load!

Yeah but wouldnt it then make sense for it to happen in games where my gpu is usually at 100% and cpu at around 70%? When i stress test my cpu and watch youtube it still sticks to its schedule. I did notice something though. It stopped happening that often. Before i wrote this thread i was installing a game and it was happening while installing. After that i watched an 18 minute video on youtube and nothing. But yeah i wonder how is it the psu if it never happenes in games.

Edited by Niksonrex, 08 August 2018 - 08:54 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users