Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 Auto Repair Loop

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Kenley

Kenley

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 PM

Posted 08 August 2018 - 01:14 PM

Two days ago I lost my audio, while working on this I rebooted to see if that would help fix the issue. From that point on, it loops from the prompt page I.E. F1 ??? to F12. it then shows the PCI Devices screen and then the Blue Windows screen comes up. Then a blue screen appears saying something about not being able to start windows and I need to reboot. Without going into great detail since I'm comupter illitarate to most of you. I work my way through the auto repair, then Advanced Options to where I get to enable safe mode. I can't get the machine to even start in safe mode. I can reach the "C" prompt page that reads, D:\windows\system 32\ but have no idea how to manipulate into safe mode and naturally, once I get there what to do about fixing the issue. I even tried resetting the window 10 OS but that failed as well. I have the original Windows 10 ISO disk, I made another copy using a USB thumb drive and also a copy today on a DVD.

Anyone suggest a format to fix the problem. I read where I may be missing .dll files and a company swears they can fix the problem in a couple minutes, I'm sure the program costs money but haven't checked.

Any ideas, resources, instructions. I'm in a rural area having little access to computer techs.  I stumbled on this site and it has really helped so far but I simply can't get windows

PS: Last week I received a call from windows support... I know, a scam, where I led the young man on for awhile until I got bored, Two days ago this loop thing started. That day I received another call where an automated computer voice tried the same scam... any possible connection?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mason21

Mason21

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 PM

Posted 08 August 2018 - 07:16 PM

Load in your USB with Windows 10 on it or stick your windows 10 disk in and boot to the usb or disk (whichever you decide on...both will have the same result) Let it load...you will see "install Windows" and underneath "repair my PC" select "repair my PC"  click "troubleshooting" then I suggest trying "startup repair" and/or "system restore" (only if you made a restore point previously...won't work unless you did) If those don't work then follow the same instructions...repair, troubleshooting then select "command prompt"  type "C:"(enter) then "dir" look for the file Windows. If it's not there, type "D:" (enter) then "dir" find windows... type all of these commands in one at a time.: type:  bootrec/ fixmbr then type bootrec /fixboot then type bootrec /scanos then bootrec /RebuildBCD   (If you have MBR, most of them will complete. If you have a GPT system then only one of the commands will work). After typing them all in and hitting enter after each, type EXIT.  Change the boot order back to your main hard drive Then reboot. 

Edited by Mason21, 08 August 2018 - 07:40 PM.

#3 Mason21

Mason21

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2018 - 07:46 PM

(In the following video I posted, for some reason I cannot correct the start point that is in mid-point..please manually set the video back to start )If none of the above steps work, if you can get to a computer to watch this video . It will show you how restore the registry and that may fix your problem. If, finally,this doesn't work, you will probably be looking at a full re-install...Hopefully you made backups of your important data. Can't recommend "BACKUP" enough times. It's the most important method of restoring your computer when in situations like this.

Edited by Mason21, 09 August 2018 - 04:44 AM.

#4 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 856 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 PM

Posted 08 August 2018 - 09:11 PM

Hi, Mason your link, opens in the middle of the video, So you need to use the slider to revert back to the beginning. BTW this fellow has nothing to do with our Britechguy. 

He does a reasonable job, I only wish he knew more about the subjects he video's on.

You will not be able to restore a registry backup (these are created by windows every 7-10 days) they are held in regback under c:\windows\system32\config directory. If you run startup repair you will find the regback directory is empty when you access it. 

So for this to work you need to go straight to command prompt DO not run Startup Repair OR do a System Restore, otherwise this will not work, and this is by far the best chance you have of getting things back to how they should be, if the problem is OS and not Hardware.

I wrote this fix years ago you might find having it on hard copy is easier for you (BTW to find the OS directory assigned by the RE (it often is not C:) you run first from the x:\sources prompt:-  bcdedit | find "osdevice" (the | is above the \ key, must inc the " "), this returns the correct drive letter to use in your cmds. It does not include a backup (shown in the video) since this is already a backup and I see no reason for one, you will not be able to use it, if anything goes wrong, either way, so don't bother.

See instructions attached.

Attached Files

#5 Mason21

Mason21

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2018 - 10:49 PM

Hi, Mason your link, opens in the middle of the video, So you need to use the slider to revert back to the beginning. BTW this fellow has nothing to do with our Britechguy. 

He does a reasonable job, I only wish he knew more about the subjects he video's on.

You will not be able to restore a registry backup (these are created by windows every 7-10 days) they are held in regback under c:\windows\system32\config directory. If you run startup repair you will find the regback directory is empty when you access it. 

So for this to work you need to go straight to command prompt DO not run Startup Repair OR do a System Restore, otherwise this will not work, and this is by far the best chance you have of getting things back to how they should be, if the problem is OS and not Hardware.

I wrote this fix years ago you might find having it on hard copy is easier for you (BTW to find the OS directory assigned by the RE (it often is not C:) you run first from the x:\sources prompt:-  bcdedit | find "osdevice" (the | is above the \ key, must inc the " "), this returns the correct drive letter to use in your cmds. It does not include a backup (shown in the video) since this is already a backup and I see no reason for one, you will not be able to use it, if anything goes wrong, either way, so don't bother.

See instructions attached

Britec does a majority of virus and malware removal videos. He also does a lot of "fix your PC" type videos. As well as lots of other subjects involving the PC. I originally started watching his videos because his voice relaxes me. Was not aware that regback renews in Windows 10 every 7-10 days. I probably would not have ever learned that little fact because of my habit of making multiple clones and backups with Acronis. I don't have to go through that ...but some of the knowledge is good to know, He is very smart about teaching the "old school" or ksh (corn shell)  DOS methods of doing repairs. .Britec video start point is not allowing me to change it.....OP will need to scroll the video back to the beginning 

Edited by Mason21, 09 August 2018 - 10:31 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users