Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

GTX 1050 Ti Questions

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 F1Help

F1Help

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 AM

Posted 08 August 2018 - 12:17 PM

Hi,

I am considering getting a new PC soon (built at my local PC shop).  The PC is intended to be used as a general purpose home PC, with some gaming.  I would like a GTX 1050 Ti graphics card and have a few quick questions:

1) I've seen this card offered by different manufacturers - e.g. MSI, ASUS and Gigabyte.  Why is the same card available through different manufacturers?  Is it really significant which manufacturer I pick?  Does Nvidia manufacture the chip inside all of the different brands?

2) Should drivers be downloaded from the manufacturers web site or Nvidia's web site?  For example, if I buy a MSI GTX 1050 Ti should the drivers be downloaded from MSI's site or Nvidia's site?

3) Is it likely to get the "coil whine" sound from this device?  Might this happen when not playing games, such as when just web browsing?

4) Is it best to go for the Ti version, or the original GTX 1050?  I'm based in England in case this is relevant for prices etc.

Thanks.

Edited by F1Help, 08 August 2018 - 01:01 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 AM

Posted 08 August 2018 - 12:30 PM

That's probably GTX1050Ti, not GTX1950Ti.

1, Nvidia provides graphic chips, everything else is up to manufacturer, including PCB, memory, cooling, extras etc.

2. Nvidia's.

3. Depends on luck mostly. That can happen in any use.

4. Looking at prices I'd rather take Radeon RX560.

#3 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 PM

Posted 08 August 2018 - 12:49 PM

Indeed as the RX560 is a better GPU than the 1050

And yes there is no such thing as the 1950 Ti... yet.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#4 F1Help

F1Help
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2018 - 01:04 PM

Sorry for the typo.  Indeed, I meant the GTX 1050 Ti.

#5 Niksonrex

Niksonrex

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 AM

Posted 08 August 2018 - 09:28 PM

The 1050Ti is great for entry level gaming.

1. All of them are made by nvidia but other companies create different models for example: a low profile one or an OC (overclocked one).

2. All of them from nvidia after you install the ones you get with the gpu.

4. It could happen tho im not sure.

4. The 1050 ti is great. If you don't want to play all games at ultra 1080p 60fps (and im talking about the newest AAA games) you can go with the gtx 1050. I had some experience with it and ill just give you an example of performance. With the original one i had over 60fps in Kingdom Come Deliverance at medium 1080p. Nfs payback was REALLY smooth on high when the old i3 the rig had didnt bottleneck it. Pubg (was unoptimized af back then) was running 50-70fps on low 1080p. Subnautica ran insanely well at high 1080p. The Witcher 3 ran at around 70fps on medium-high 1080p (nvidia hairworks off lol). So if you would like some of these games to go up to high and ultra you could add more cash and but the 1050ti. But honestly id sell my ass to have the 1050.

#6 F1Help

F1Help
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2018 - 12:00 PM

Thanks for your replies.  :)

#7 techblogger911

techblogger911

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 PM

Posted 14 August 2018 - 04:15 AM

Hi,

I am considering getting a new PC soon (built at my local PC shop).  The PC is intended to be used as a general purpose home PC, with some gaming.  I would like a GTX 1050 Ti graphics card and have a few quick questions:

1) I've seen this card offered by different manufacturers - e.g. MSI, ASUS and Gigabyte.  Why is the same card available through different manufacturers?  Is it really significant which manufacturer I pick?  Does Nvidia manufacture the chip inside all of the different brands?

2) Should drivers be downloaded from the manufacturers web site or Nvidia's web site?  For example, if I buy a MSI GTX 1050 Ti should the drivers be downloaded from MSI's site or Nvidia's site?

3) Is it likely to get the "coil whine" sound from this device?  Might this happen when not playing games, such as when just web browsing?

4) Is it best to go for the Ti version, or the original GTX 1050?  I'm based in England in case this is relevant for prices etc.

Thanks.

1. Not significant, Yes Nvidia manufactures the chip.

2. Nvidia's site

3. Yes

4. Get the Ti variant.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users