Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Exploit/ Spyware/or Malware?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MGBY

MGBY

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 AM

Posted 12 October 2006 - 05:03 AM

Can anybody tell me what is "TightVNC"? Is it an exploit? an spyware/malware? what is it? Should I be of concern of its behavior? How do you deal with it, if the antispyware failed in quarantine/removing it? How do you you remove it???? Thank you . YOYO. :thumbsup: :flowers:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,140 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 AM

Posted 12 October 2006 - 09:26 AM

TightVNC is a free remote control utility derived from VNC software. Depends on how it is used as to whether its good or bad.

Any commercial product that is normally used for remote administration, but which might be exploited to do this without user consent or awareness.

ca.com/securityadvisor.

What alerted you to this program?
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 MGBY

MGBY
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2006 - 06:20 PM

It was Window Defender. Can you please explain " DEPEND ON HOW IT IS USED AS TO WHETHER IT IS GOOD OR BAD ". I remember reading about it, it was not clear- my impression was : it can be benign, yet it can be negative as well. You have confirmed my impression. It was very confusing, hence the action to quarantine it- the action failed. What should I do now?? Thank you. YOYO. :thumbsup:

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,996 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 AM

Posted 12 October 2006 - 06:45 PM

Click on the link that Quietman7 provided. At the bottom of the page are lists of files that would be on your computer if Tight VNC is on your computer. Do a search for some of these files. Windows Defender's alert may be false. You can also look in Add/remove to see if the program is there.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 MGBY

MGBY
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2006 - 06:37 AM

Quietman7 & Buddy 215: I did a thorough search from the (suggested link) facilitated list, it appears Window Defender's finding is a false positive. Thank you guys for all the great support. you are the best. Cheers. YOYO. :thumbsup: :flowers:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users