Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

If anyone could help I would be very grateful // weknow.ac virus

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 radiobox

radiobox

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 AM

Posted 07 August 2018 - 10:28 PM

Hello, I have followed every guide for removal to get rid of this horrible weknow.ac virus/spyware/browser hijacker (not sure which category it actually falls under to be completely honest). Not only have I followed steps for manual removal, but I have also run Malwarebytes and Avast multiple times to try and clean out anything remaining, and STILL when I open a new tab in either Safari or Chrome it is bringing up the fake search engine. I am afraid to sign into any of my various accounts as I am worried that my passwords will be taken (I know how crazy I sound). 

Does anyone have any idea how to completely get this thing off my machine? I am on a Mac with High Siera version 10.13.6 (17G65)

Edited by hamluis, 08 August 2018 - 05:06 AM.
Moved from MRA to Mac O/S - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,196 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2018 - 06:53 AM

Have you tried completely uninstalling Chrome including your Chrome profile? Often, that will

solve the problem. Same goes for Safari.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 radiobox

radiobox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2018 - 08:41 AM

I did try that and when I reinstalled it was still there. I keep doing deep scans with my removal tools and it wont work

#4 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,071 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 AM

Posted 08 August 2018 - 09:09 AM

https://crunchify.com/how-to-purge-all-your-google-chrome-user-data-on-mac-os-x/

try that out, usually this sort of thing can be gotten rid of by removing the chrome user data

Fort safari:

https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/316943/cant-delete-safari-history-entry-on-mac

Keep in mind this is a mac so chrome and safari are running in the background even when you close them, open activity monitor and kill both chrome and safari's running background processes.

This is one of my issues with Mac OSX personally, I know OSX keeps apps running in the background to make them load faster but this is one of those cases where its a bad thing.

I dont use OSX that much but this is one thing i am all too aware of.

Edited by MadmanRB, 08 August 2018 - 09:11 AM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,196 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2018 - 09:19 AM

Just to double check...when you reinstalled your Chrome did your bookmarks and passwords

automatically show up? If so, you have synced your Chrome with all your devices in the cloud.

Which would put the crapware right back in the browser when reinstalled.

I don't know if the same is possible with Safari....not a Mac user.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#6 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,071 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2018 - 09:23 AM

Just to double check...when you reinstalled your Chrome did your bookmarks and passwords

automatically show up? If so, you have synced your Chrome with all your devices in the cloud.

Which would put the crapware right back in the browser when reinstalled.

I don't know if the same is possible with Safari....not a Mac user.

Well i know it has iCloud integration and its possible the malware has loaded itself onto his profile.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#7 radiobox

radiobox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2018 - 09:35 AM

I deleted all of the data for Chrome through the library folder, then uninstalled it, and reinstalled it

#8 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,071 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2018 - 09:36 AM

I deleted all of the data for Chrome through the library folder, then uninstalled it, and reinstalled it

I take it that didnt wok then?

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#9 radiobox

radiobox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2018 - 09:49 AM

I did, and it still has not been fixed. This is driving me crazy, as I have never had a virus give me this much issue. Is there any kind of tool I can run that will give me some diagnostics that I could post here that might help someone figure out a solution?

#10 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,071 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2018 - 09:54 AM

Perhaps ccleaner?

Malwarebytes?

Could give those a shot

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#11 santoscork

santoscork

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 AM

Posted Today, 02:56 AM

Check out https://www.securemacos.com/remove-www-weknow-ac-from-mac-os/

And yes MadmanRB is correct, try Malwarebytes, it is free and should resolve it. https://www.malwarebytes.com

Edited by santoscork, Today, 03:09 AM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users