Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot boot from hitachi hard drive

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 irvineboy

irvineboy

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 PM

Posted 07 August 2018 - 09:23 PM

My old asus laptop died.  I removed the hitachi HD and am using a 2.5 to usb 3.0 SATA to attempt to reboot directly from the HD so I can transfer my files.  At first, it wouldn't let me so I had to disable the "secure boot control from the BIOS

Now, when I try to reboot, it is giving me this Windows Boot Manager error.  My old Asus laptop never came with a windows disc.

Windows failed to start.  A recent hardware or software change might be the cause.  To fix the problem:
1) Insert your Windows installation disc and restart your computer.
2) Choose your language settings, and then click "Next".
3) Click "Repair your computer".

If you do not have this disc, contact your system administrator or computer manufacturer for assistance.

File: \EFI\Microsoft\Boot\BCD
Info: An error occurred while attempting to read the boot configuration data.

Help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 opera

opera

• Members
  • 1,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 AM

Posted 08 August 2018 - 12:51 AM

Have a look here at proposed answer

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/2eb69a11-2d56-4590-8a3c-e9f00b8c0d50/error-after-uefi-pxe-windows-7-osd?forum=configmanagerosd

Not sure if it will help as it mentions Win 7

A Win 10 boot disk/usb can be downloaded from Microsoft free.

#3 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,084 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 AM

Posted 08 August 2018 - 03:17 AM

@Irvineboy: Moving the HDD to an external drive and try to boot the Operating System in another machine will not work for several reasons, one is that when the system start to boot it will load drivers for the old Asus that most likely will not work on the new machine...

You should let the working computer boot normally and connect the HDD as a external second drive then you can locate your files on the disk and copy them.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users