Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Chrome, Edge and Internet Explorer Malfunction

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Marion M

Marion M

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 AM

Posted 07 August 2018 - 08:50 PM

Hello again and thank you in advance.  Once again my husband's computer has a problem and I have to use my laptop for your help.  OK, here it goes.  We use Chrome exclusively and initially I thought he had a chrome problem.  Early this afternoon my husband browsed for Georgia Practise Driving License Tests for our neighbor.  He took one for giggles, then called the neighbor down and BOOM!  Suddenly every new tab has an error "IP address not found".  Strangely enough he can hit the icon for facebook that is on his toolbar and see up to the minute posts but nothing else works.  Google Walmart and he gets a page of Walmart choices, but click on Walmart, and the IP address is wrong.  Google bleeping computer, bad IP.  Windows suggests running network diagnostics each time and finds no error.  When prompted to report it to the forum, it never connects.  Come to think of it, when I updated Spybot, it said no internet connection, too.

This is what I have done so far--ran Spybot, deleted browsing history and data, made sure google is his search engine, disabled all unfamiliar extensions, hit the Chrome help forum and changed his "flag" (I almost know what that means), rebooted a dozen times, ran the Chrome clean computer and reset under advanced settings.  I stopped short of uninstalling his chrome account because I had the bright idea of trying Edge, hoping for a work around.  Well, neither Edge nor Explorer lets him get online AT ALL (remember, facebook works in real time on Chrome).  Bad IP address errors.  After a couple of hours of poking around, I went to Windows help forum and ended up spending most of another hour chatting with someone who had me clear Edge's browsing and data history and reboot and etc.  I feel like I am forgetting to tell you all something, but I have been at this for seven hours now and am getting a little punchy.  Oh, I did run system restore because that never hurts. 

Thank you again for any advice you might have.  Almost forgot--he has windows 10 and our internet is wireless.  I keep harping on facebook because it proves that we DO have a connection, as well as the little icon that says we are connected.... 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 6sixty6

6sixty6

• Members
  • 143 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2018 - 03:08 AM

Try this................

🔥😈🔥

#3 Marion M

Marion M
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2018 - 06:59 PM

Thank you 6sixty6.  And it didn't work, but I appreciate the suggestion.  Let me add that I tried going incognito and tried being a guest and tried my chrome account.  Same stuff.

Edited by Marion M, 08 August 2018 - 07:00 PM.

#4 Marion M

Marion M
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2018 - 03:33 PM

I just edited this because I THOUGHT the problem was fixed.  Turns out it isn't, but I did want to add that  I talked to a technician who said the winsock needed to be reset.  When the tech reset it, it worked fine at his place BUT I am back to the same problem here.  I went ahead and reset the winsock again--why not--and no go.  So I am glad I haven't completely closed this problem yet, though learning about a winsock is a new trick.  Another note: I am using my laptop with now problems, so I doubt it is our wireless, but that could be too logical.  :)  Again, my husbands computer network icon is reading connected with a strong signal.

Edited by Marion M, 09 August 2018 - 06:42 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users