Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB Ports not working after new motherboard

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 sadgamer

sadgamer

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 PM

Posted 07 August 2018 - 06:40 PM

So i upgraded my computer today and replaced my motherboard, ram and processor. Everything seemed to work fine untl i reached the login screen for windows. Both my mouse and keyboard stopped working. So im now stuck not being able to use my computer. My usbs works perfectly in the BIOS screen, and turns off in the middle of the "starting windows" screen. Im fairly certain after reading other peoples posts with similar problems, that the cause of the problem lies within the range of the actual driver of the usb ports. 

I've tried different ports, updating BIOS from within the BIOS menu, checked for loose wires etc.

I also noticed that my sound now plays from the tv i use as screen. This never happened before so it has affected my audio drivers too.

The motherboard i upgraded to is; ASUS ROG Strix B350-F Gaming if that's relevant.

I've also seen talk about using  a ps/2 mouse/keyboard, but i dont have the port for it :(

Thanks for any help and tips regarding this matter!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dmccoy

dmccoy

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 980 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 AM

Posted 07 August 2018 - 07:22 PM

One possible thing to try first is to disable usb 3.0 in the bios if that is an option. If not, let us know and may have other options.

They also make various usb to ps/2 adapters if you have ps/2 keyboard and mouse such as the following example:

https://www.amazon.com/SANOXY-USB-PS-2-Adapter/dp/B00007AP2O

The last option is to use another computer to download the drivers and add them during the install.

Edited by dmccoyks, 07 August 2018 - 07:32 PM.

We are all volunteers so please by kind, courteous and respectful of all staff and members

I try to respond in 24-48 hours normally and I am more active on weekdays than weekends. However, sometimes due to my health, family or life it may take me a little longer. If you have not heard from me within 72 hours then please PM me a reminder. 

BC BSOD Posting Instructions 

#3 sadgamer

sadgamer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2018 - 07:31 PM

Was no options for that sadly, played around with all usb related options in the bios pretty much

#4 dmccoy

dmccoy

• 980 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2018 - 07:52 PM

Which next option to you want to try? Are you mak8mg sure to connect only to the USB 2.0 ports. Looks like your MB has two of them. The ones that are not red or blue.

Edited by dmccoyks, 07 August 2018 - 08:03 PM.

We are all volunteers so please by kind, courteous and respectful of all staff and members

I try to respond in 24-48 hours normally and I am more active on weekdays than weekends. However, sometimes due to my health, family or life it may take me a little longer. If you have not heard from me within 72 hours then please PM me a reminder. 

#5 sadgamer

sadgamer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2018 - 08:01 PM

For some reason i only noticed the first option u suggested, my bad.

When u say add drivers during install, what do you mean? Since i cant access anything after loading windows

#6 dmccoy

dmccoy

• 980 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2018 - 08:06 PM

First see my edit above and answer.

The drivers have to be added the the install file it is a litttle technical but I can walk you through it as long as you have another computer to perform the steps.

#7 dmccoy

dmccoy

• 980 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2018 - 08:10 PM

Looks like I found an easier option.

Go to the follow link and Download

ASUS EZ Installer
Use this tool to create a Windows 7 installation file with USB 3.0 drivers preloaded for your ASUS PC.

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-B350-F-GAMING/HelpDesk_Download/

#8 sadgamer

sadgamer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2018 - 08:12 PM

Alright thx, i'll take a look at it right now.

I used all ports, 3.0 and 2.0. Even my front ones did the exact same thing

#9 dmccoy

dmccoy

• 980 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2018 - 08:13 PM

That should work for you. Also make sure to download and update your drivers from that link for your MB after installing Windows.

#10 sadgamer

sadgamer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2018 - 08:32 PM

Will be trying this first thing tomorrow, thanks for the help so far!

Edited by sadgamer, 07 August 2018 - 08:52 PM.

#11 sadgamer

sadgamer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2018 - 04:18 AM

Trying out the Asus Ez installer but i cant seem to get it to work. I run the program and i tells me to give the source of the windows 7 install disc, do i need to insert an install disk? It only chooses 1 unit and that's E:/ which i dont have on my computer, hence cant progress :I

Also, wont this launch the windows install sequence, and wont that make my mouse freeze?

Edited by sadgamer, 08 August 2018 - 05:46 AM.

#12 sadgamer

sadgamer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2018 - 10:34 AM

Update: I tried deactivating driver signature enforcement. This resulted in me sometimes getting power to my keyboard and mouse, but no functionality

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,416 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 AM

Posted 08 August 2018 - 10:55 AM

Last post on this page offered a solution.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?96666-No-keyboard-or-mouse-during-Windows-7-installation-(B350-F)/page2

You say you replaced and upgraded the motherboard. Was this the same motherboard as the one replaced? You are using the same OS hard drive for the previous motherboard on the new motherboard? 

Edited by JohnC_21, 08 August 2018 - 10:55 AM.

#14 sadgamer

sadgamer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2018 - 11:14 AM

Thank you.

I replaced my old MSI 970 Gaming motherboard with my current b350. I am using the same os hard drive for the new mobo aswell.

How do i get windows on my usb though? :}

#15 dmccoy

dmccoy

• 980 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2018 - 11:31 AM

See link below for guide to follow

https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1015837/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users