Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

virtualization

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 PDN

PDN

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 AM

Posted 07 August 2018 - 02:51 PM

Dell XPS 8300, 6 GB RAM, Windows 1803.

There are contradictions; [perfmon /report] does not mention virtualization & neither does Speccy.
On the other hand when I google the CPU it says it does have virtualization.
Also, the BIOS shows Virtualization enabled.
I am not confident this machine can perform virtualization well so wish to thank all who helped.

I am open to any comments.

Edited by hamluis, 07 August 2018 - 03:48 PM.
Moved from W10 Spt to VMs - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 3,002 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 AM

Posted 07 August 2018 - 04:41 PM

Have you enabled virtualization in the BIOS? You have to do that before can run a virtual machine.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#3 PDN

PDN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2018 - 05:11 PM

"Also, the BIOS shows Virtualization enabled." This is from my post.

It is a conundrum and a contradiction but the evidence supports no vitualization.

​Please see post #1; I wish it were capable.

#4 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 3,002 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2018 - 05:53 PM

Are you using Virtual Box by Oracle?

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#5 PDN

PDN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2018 - 05:59 PM

That was my intention but I just confirmed the fact that this machine cannot perform virtualization with Steve Gibson's tool.

I am going to have micro center build a new tower soon.

I put $50 to get this running a couple of years ago but no more money in this old beast.

#6 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 3,002 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2018 - 07:53 PM

OK man. Keep us posted.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#7 PDN

PDN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2018 - 06:18 AM

:thumbsup:

#8 dhagerjohns

dhagerjohns

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2018 - 08:52 PM

I always use Hyper-V for virtualization.

#9 PDN

PDN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2018 - 06:28 AM

Perhaps you could help as I am only an average user

I watched a video with Hyper-V and it seemed a lot more tricky than Virtual Box and the free Vmware- is this true

I do see I have Hyper-V in programs and features I can enable.

My PC  also says  it is enabled in the BIOS and task manager says I have it enabled. 

However, the Intel tool says I do not have it. Also Gibson's processor tool say the same.

All attempts have shown only 32 bit guests which indicate I do not have it.

What can you tell me.       

#10 dhagerjohns

dhagerjohns

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2018 - 09:04 AM

I think Hyper-V is much easier to use than any of the others, and consumes far fewer resources.  To enable it first make sure you have uninstalled any other virtualization programs as it will not run with them installed.  Then enable Hyper-V in Turn Windows Features On or Off.  Your PC will restart twice.  After it successfully installs open it.  On the left column will be Hyper-V Manager, and under it the name of your computer.  Click on it.  Now go to the right side, and click New, then click Virtual Machine. There will be a window giving information.  Click past this. Name you Virtual Machine.  Click next. You can select Generation 1 which is regular BIOS or generation to which is UEFI.  This is your preference.  I find Generation 1 easier to work with.  Click Next.  Here you set your memory.  I choose 2048, and keep Dynamic Memory checked.  Click Next. This is your Internet.  From drop-down menu select default switch, and click Next.  Now you cn select the Size of your Virtual Machine.  I usually select 20 GB, but 30 is also nice.  I just use Hyper-V for testing so this size is whatever I plan to do with my test machine.  Click Next.  Now is your OS selection.  I install from ISO.  You can choose to do this later or if you have an ISO ready to go you can select Install an OS for a bootable.... then Image file.  Click Next.  I will explain how to choose later shortly.  Now click Finish.  It will take a few seconds, and it will be ready.  Now right click on you virtual machine name in the middle column, and select settings.  This is where you can select processor cores, I always max it out, and if you want restore points enabled.  You can also change your BOOT ISO here.  Look it over.  When you are all done close it. Right click on your virtual machine name, click connect.  A window will open, click start, and install your OS as normal.  Any questions, get back to me.

#11 null__

null__

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 AM

Posted 13 August 2018 - 09:17 AM

One thing to note with Hyper-V is that you need to have at least the Pro version of Windows 10.

EDIT: Had a typo

Edited by null__, 13 August 2018 - 09:17 AM.

#12 PDN

PDN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2018 - 09:44 AM

I have Hyper-V on desktop and am ready to continue with your directions I have pasted to a document.

Before I go further I wanted you to know about my machine: 6 years old Dell XPS 8300, RAM 6 GB(puny), 500 HDD, Win 10 Pro ver. 1803. 

If you have any modifications due to the fragility of this machine, please let me know.

I will await your reply then proceed as directed.   thank you.

Edited by PDN, 13 August 2018 - 10:02 AM.

#13 PDN

PDN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2018 - 10:50 AM

I followed until it came to ISO. Please suggest one I can use with little resource drain and easy to understand. My 1803 is an upgrade so the key is embedded in the motherboard -I think other than windows might be necessary.

I also did not know what you do with settings where it says 'user'

Should I click virtual switch?

I tried to send you an attachment which did not work. When I clicked finish a [popup said there was an error but the error was not specific.

Edited by PDN, 13 August 2018 - 11:18 AM.

#14 PDN

PDN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2018 - 11:14 AM

I created the VM as far as finish.
What should I do now?

Edited by PDN, 13 August 2018 - 11:25 AM.

#15 dhagerjohns

dhagerjohns

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2018 - 11:31 AM

Right click, connect, then Start.  You can download an iso from this site.  https://tb.rg-adguard.net/public.php  Just use current Windows 10, it will be fine.

screenshot_1.png

Edited by dhagerjohns, 13 August 2018 - 11:35 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users