Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What processor is this?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 stebbinsd

stebbinsd

• Members
  • 261 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 AM

Posted 07 August 2018 - 01:50 PM

I recently won this online auction: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Gigabyte-Technology-GA-970A-UD3P-AM3-AMD-Motherboard-W-AMD-FX-Processor-/132723445217?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=QyjzNmVJ4Jv8AC1LveyIIBRDF6k%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc

This guy is also bundling a CPU with the motherboard. All he says, however, is that it's an AMD FX processor. He then gives the serial number appearing on the top of the processor and acts like that's the model. No, the model is usually a 4-digit number.

Granted, I didn't inquire about this before, because the motherboard alone would have been worth the $65. But I would still like to know what processor it is. Since I already have a processor (because DUH ... otherwise how am I writing this message), I'm going to sell one and keep the other. But I need to know which one is better so I know which one to keep.

So can anyone take a gander at what the model of this processor is, based on the serial number?

My current build:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P
Processor: AMD FX-8350
RAM: 16GB (2x8GB DDR3)
Video Card: Geforce GTX 1070ti

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,503 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 PM

Posted 07 August 2018 - 02:22 PM

CPU info reads over that line. That info only tells it's made on week 38 year 2014. So that's quite surely AMD FX-x3xx series CPU. Without further information impossible to say what exactly.

And unless that CPU is FX-8370 (quite unlikely), it's not better than what currently have. So sell that CPU that comes with motherboard.

Edited by Drillingmachine, 07 August 2018 - 02:24 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users