Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Freezes, no BSOD & interal fan starts spinning fast

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 bigdaddy034

bigdaddy034

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 AM

Posted 07 August 2018 - 11:46 AM

Hello, I have a Dell Optiplex 7010.  At least once a month, regardless of what I'm doing, my PC will lock up, no BSOD, and the CPU fan will start spinning incredibly fast.  It sounds like a plane taking off.  The PC is not overheating.  I've been monitoring my HDD with Crystaldisk v7.1.1 and the everything is in the green.  Even when the lock-ups occur.  The only way to get things back to normal is a hard-reboot.  On other occasions, when it locks-up, there will be a loud stuttering audio sound rather than the fan revving up. This has been occurring for several months.  I have conducted a memory check and everything has come up fine.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dmccoy

dmccoy

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 1,045 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 AM

Posted 07 August 2018 - 11:50 AM

Please follow the guide in the link below:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/

We are all volunteers so please by kind, courteous and respectful of all staff and members

I try to respond in 24-48 hours normally and I am more active on weekdays than weekends. However, sometimes due to my health, family or life it may take me a little longer. If you have not heard from me within 72 hours then please PM me a reminder. 

BC BSOD Posting Instructions 

#3 bigdaddy034

bigdaddy034
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2018 - 12:34 PM

Here is the Speccy URL:  http://speccy.piriform.com/results/Ep87jgJinEaHs1lw2xXAbWY

Attached Files

#4 dmccoy

dmccoy

• 1,045 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2018 - 01:00 PM

Usually if your fan is speeding up it is due to higher temps. You mentioned that you monitored the hard drive during this time but did you monitor your CPU temps. If not, I recommend downloading a temp monitoring utility such as the one below or you can also use speccy since it is already installed and check the temps when it starts spinning up again.

Another option if you prefer not to wait is to perform a stress test with the following program or other similar.

Stress Test Your CPU - Prime 95
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/16474-prime95-stress-test-your-cpu.html

- extract the contents of the zip file to a location of your choice
- double click on the executable file
- select "Just stress testing"
- select the "Blend" test. If you've already run MemTest overnight please run the "Small FFTs" test instead. (run all 3 if you find a problem and note how long it takes to error out with each)
- "Number of torture test threads to run" should equal the number of CPU's times 2 (if you're using hyperthreading).
The easiest way to figure this out is to go to Task Manager...Performance tab - and see the number of boxes under CPU Usage History

Then run the test for 6 to 24 hours - or until you get errors (whichever comes first).
Monitor the CPU temperature and DON'T let it exceed 85ºC. If it does, then you probably have a CPU cooling problem. This won't necessarily crash the system - but check the output in the test window for errors.
The Test selection box and the stress.txt file describes what components that the program stresses.

We are all volunteers so please by kind, courteous and respectful of all staff and members

I try to respond in 24-48 hours normally and I am more active on weekdays than weekends. However, sometimes due to my health, family or life it may take me a little longer. If you have not heard from me within 72 hours then please PM me a reminder. 

#5 bigdaddy034

bigdaddy034
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2018 - 10:33 PM

I ran the stress test for over 24hrs and the temp average around 72 degrees with no problems.  However, at 8:53pm (Hour #28 of the stress test) I discovered my PC had rebooted.  I have been using MiniToolBox by Farbar  Version: 17-06-2016 to record the Event Log Errors.

I have attached the Log file, and the other Logs from my previous freeze up’s.  I apologize, I forgot to mention that I have been keeping the log reports from the system freezes.

The log dated 2018-08-08 is from my PC restarting during the Stress Test.

Attached Files

#6 dmccoy

dmccoy

• 1,045 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2018 - 12:12 PM

Okay, please test using the following clean boot method and let me know if any changes or not.

How to perform a clean boot in Windows

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

#7 bigdaddy034

bigdaddy034
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2018 - 02:49 PM

I did a clean boot as instructed, and nothing of note happened.  Just booted to the desktop, and everything was working as it should.

#8 dmccoy

dmccoy

• 1,045 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2018 - 03:16 PM

Please test for a few days in that mode and see if your current freezing issues continue or stop and let me know.

#9 bigdaddy034

bigdaddy034
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2018 - 01:53 PM

Let me first say Thank you for your suggestions, I do appreciate the help.  FYI, my PC does not freeze on a weekly/daily basis.  It has been happening about  2 times a month.  I attached the last 10 MTB-Error reports for the forum members to examine.  Has anyone hap an opportunity to look at them?  I don't have any idea what to look for on the report.  I had read else-where that this report would help identify what may be causing the freeze-ups.

#10 dmccoy

dmccoy

• 1,045 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2018 - 05:32 PM

There is nothing in those logs that really indicate any freezing issues. The only issue I see is that you have several issues with Bonjour in your logs. Unless you are sharing a lot of music you should disable this service. It is know to cause issues and hog your internet. Press the win + r keys together, in the run box type: services.msc and hit Enter. Navigate to the Bonjour service and set it's start type to disabled. It may appear as mDNSResponder instead of Bonjour. 

Also you are running AVG antivirus. Third party AV's can cause multiple issues especially with Windows 10 and it is recommended to remove it with the following tool and only use Windows Defender for best defense, compatibility and performance.

https://www.avg.com/en-us/utilities

#11 bigdaddy034

bigdaddy034
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2018 - 12:08 AM

I went and disabled the Bonjour service from launching on start-up.  I will continue to use AVG until the next freeze-up which I hope doesn't happen again now that the Bonjour service has been disabled.

#12 dmccoy

dmccoy

• 1,045 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2018 - 09:55 AM

It is yoor choice but we all fix so many issues by removing third party antivirus programs and only run Windows 10 Defender and it offers better protection as well.

See the following quote from a very accomplished retired Microsoft Engineer about Windows 10 Defender. This is just one of many.

Ms have a huge advantage, knowledge is power and in computing this means data and the ability to use it, with the great majority of computers using the windows OS the gathering of information to develop a reactionary response and an ability to then formulate a proactive approach, to impede  active cyber issues, no one comes close to MS

The result, a massive improvement in the ability to counter this threat and a vastly improved regime to implement it, windows defender.
Commercial interests will respond, the problem is they know they cannot compete, so like big tobacco they fight on, increasingly resorting to more desperate measures, When McAfee first sent me their very first draft for an AV (long ago) I was impressed with the level of expertise they had bought to the problem, sadly this has been replaced by covert operations and a reflection of the world I do not at all like.

If you keep the third party AV's then it is possible that getting the feature update will be made more difficult for you, Not to mention that increasingly the gap between MS defender and it's vastly superior definitions base and your own protection will be  making you more vulnerable.

A very famous racing car driver, spoke at the launch of a new high performance model's release, He was also an engineer, and he marveled at some owners who sent their cars to third party modifiers. He explained that the factory had spent millions of dollars getting the car right, why then go to somebody with a shoestring budget and little to no real expertise and let them modify what the factory believed was the best. When you buy a classic car if it is modified from the factory original, it is worth far less money then a non modified model, the people buying these classics are smart.. it's up to you.   

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users