Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WiFi Between Buildings

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Savinganimals

Savinganimals

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 AM

Posted 07 August 2018 - 11:40 AM

Hi Everyone! 

I am new here! I am looking for information on how to run WiFi between two buildings on the same property. Right now we are paying for two separate comcast bills. (this is for my clinic, I am new to this position and slowly fixing things). Please forgive the use of improper terms, this whole topic seems to allude me. 

The set up: two very old (1930) buildings are about two car lengths from each other and we can get both WiFi signals in each building. However they are not strong. We do not have the option of running a cable. 

Building 1: Two computers, one hard wired, one tablet, and two printers.

Building 2: Three computers, one printer. 

10 staff and it is assumed they all have wifi on personal devices. 

While doing research, I am overwhelmed by the number of options, WiFi extenders, wireless bridge, etc. To be honest I do not really even understand the modem/router concept. I would just like to know where to start and what would be the cheapest, most effective option, that I can install to get us down to one bill. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 1095361

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2018 - 11:48 AM

If both building share the same electric service you may be able to extend the signal using Ethernet over Power adapters

#3 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,509 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:07:25 PM

Posted 07 August 2018 - 12:05 PM

your best option is a fiber cable between the buildings, or if you want to really cheap out an outdoor rated cat6

if you go any other route you are going to be pulling your hair out....save yourself the hassle and time

Edited by mikey11, 07 August 2018 - 12:06 PM.

#4 Savinganimals

Savinganimals
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2018 - 02:46 PM

Thanks! I wish we shared a power source, that would make things a lot easier, they are completely separate. 

Unfortunately we do not own the buildings/property, running a cable is not an option. This would also be going across a parking lot and I would be doing the install.   

Is it not worth pursuing a bridge or extenders? 

#5 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,509 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:07:25 PM

Posted 08 August 2018 - 06:33 AM

Is it not worth pursuing a bridge or extenders? 

i don't think it would help much,

only thing you could try is to put two bridges as close together as possible.....like mounted in front of a window in each building facing each other

#6 Replicator

Replicator

• Members
  • 279 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 AM

Posted 08 August 2018 - 08:47 AM

You could use extenders (amplifiers) connected to a 'high gain' dbi antenna to boost the wifi signal.

They are a fairly cheap alternative to running cable these days.

You would have to check the frequency range applicable to your country of origin, and purchase infrastructure to suit.

Something like an 18dbi Yagi would suffice for 2 or 3 car lengths between buildings (even a lot more) to give full strength.

Google up, and do some research on them.....let me know if you want a link!

Edited by Replicator, 08 August 2018 - 08:49 AM.

The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear!
CEH, CISSP @ WhiteHat Computers Pty Ltd

#7 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,011 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 PM

Posted 08 August 2018 - 09:16 AM

The following may sound snarky, but it's not meant that way:   Have you tried out your connectivity just as things are?

"Not strong" does not, by a long shot, necessarily mean "not functional."    I've worked, and quite successfully, with what appear to be very weak WiFi signals but that never, ever seem to drop and for the purposes it's being used for is way more than fast enough.

Another thing that would be useful to know is what Wireless protocol your router supports (and anything recent would probably be Wireless N, possibly with Wireless AC) and how many channels it runs on (or, alternatively, give us the make and model of your wireless router that you're currently using or would be using if you went to a single one).  The variety (and I'm assuming it will be a variety) of wireless cards in the various devices comes into play as well.

The first thing I'd try, though, is turning OFF the modem-router in the building you wish to drop service from, connect everyone to the same WiFi network from the remaining modem router, and see if it all works to your satisfaction.  Like I said, a weak signal just means a weak signal, not a non-functional signal, and if it's a stable weak signal it may be more than adequate for your purposes.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#8 Savinganimals

Savinganimals
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2018 - 01:14 PM

Thanks Replicator! I'll do some research! 

Britechguy-Not snarky at all-in fact I tried this first before looking at other options. Seemed the most logical-unfortunately we run a cloud based database among other things, it ran insanely slow. Too slow to efficiently do work with. 

Right now we are running a comcast setup. However we have equipment that was purchased prior to me, that is intended to replace the comcast setup. Specs on the new equipment:

Buffalo brand- High performance N600 gig dual band wireless router-Model: WZR-600DHP.

Buffalo brand Giga 5 switching hub. (no clue what this is?) Model: LSW3-GT-5EP/W 

I am guessing I will still need a modem? Let me know if that is not enough info. 

With regard to wireless cards-I am guessing you mean within the computers themselves....we're on really old HP's (five computers total). Two do not have wireless cards-one has a wifi adapter, the other is hard wired. Which if I am guessing, probably has just as much to do with a quality signal. We also use an ipad. 

Side note: I really wish I understood this better, are there read me's on the forum or youtube videos any of you would recommend? 

#9 Replicator

Replicator

• Members
  • 279 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 AM

Posted 09 August 2018 - 05:00 AM

UsbYagi11=930x500.jpg

Move the entire operation over WiFi is my preference.......'Over the Air' is the way of the future for us, everything will run over WiFi one day and we should move with it.

Heck, when scanning my clients networks in Kali, It can see the boss's Audi in the carpark.

The Ethernet 'Die Hards' will tell you they have security and uninterrupted connection on their side, maybe their right to a certain extent, but with todays modern hardware, securing a WiFi Network is not rocket-science.

5g will change a lot, particularly with cloud storage and retrieval. Fibre will eventually die as its cost of infrastructure becomes unsustainable against the alternatives.

Good Luck!

Edited by Replicator, 09 August 2018 - 06:24 AM.

The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear!
CEH, CISSP @ WhiteHat Computers Pty Ltd

#10 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,011 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 PM

Posted 09 August 2018 - 07:00 AM

I agree with Replicator that if all devices (as we could have old printers involved here) support wireless then full WiFi networking is the way to go.

I'd also say to hold off with doing lots of tweaking and first install your replacement router.   A new router with higher power could easily make all the difference in the world in your case.  Also, though the one shown by Replicator is a WiFi antenna on steroids, the choice of using WiFi dongles with external antennae for devices that aren't on the move can add a significant amount of signal range reception, too.

Just start out by getting that new router in as part of the mix.   By the way, that "switching hub" is essentially a wired router.  It's what those extra ports on the back of your router do, just on another device that usually plugs in either to a straight modem, a port on a modem-router, or the port on another switch.  You can kinda think of it like you would a USB hub, but where it's giving you more ethernet ports rather than more USB ports.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#11 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 841 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2018 - 05:44 PM

you want what's call a wireless bridge! basically it's 2 antenna's you point at each other and share internet from 1 building to the other.

here is an example of from a reseller of what i'm talking about.

very simple to setup and use.    we share internet at 3 restaurants all about 3 blocks away from each other.

1 building supplies a wireless signal to the other 2 buildings.

as long as you have line of sight these units are good for 10+ miles apart.

Edited by mightywiz, 27 August 2018 - 05:47 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users