Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Case fans: Brand-name vs ebay/no-name.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ozzynotwood

ozzynotwood

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 AM

Posted 06 August 2018 - 08:57 PM

Hi everyone.

I can save a good amount of money by buying case fans from eBay for a new build.

Which statement would be most accurate?

"Brand names are much higher quality"

or

"Both are the same quality & you just pay more for a brand name?"

Please educate me, even if you have something to offer outside of the statements above.

Thanks!

Z370 AORUS Ultra Gaming 2.0 (TPM 2.0), i7 8700K, 32gb HyperX Fury, H100i CPU Cooler, GTX1050 Ti WindforceBenQ GL2580(H) x3, 970 PRO SSD, WD Red HDD x3, Seasonic Focus Gold 650w, Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow, W10 Pro.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 PM

Posted 06 August 2018 - 09:15 PM

I think they balance out $ wise, good ones last longer but cost more.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,008 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2018 - 09:26 PM

You are going to get every possible range of response to a query like this.

I would say that your range options need to be a bit more nuanced, too.  Like any product it is *possible* for either a brand name or a no-name to be "much higher quality."  I do not know how you would judge this for a case fan other than on the stated specs regarding construction.

Very often, though certainly not always, there is little to no difference between brand name and no name items and there are times they're the same item.  Most electronic components are marketed under a number of brand names, and are manufactured to spec by the lowest bidder, and that lowest bidder is seldom forbidden from selling provided they do not reveal the relationship between their wares and those sold by the companies who have had them manufacture for them.  Brand names do have reputations to protect and don't tend to wish to have them tarnished by ever marketing substandard materials, but we all know that ever once in a while that does happen (and often not through their fault, but due to fraud by the actual device manufacturer).

There is also the distinct possibility that a no name could be anything from adequate and probably long-lived, though not quite as good as a brand name, all the way down to complete and utter crap.

My approach is generally cost based when it comes to items that provide specs and where replacing them, should it come to that, is relatively easy.  A case fan falls into that category.  When it comes to anything that requires a lot of effort in order to replace, the equation changes, but only somewhat.  I won't risk buying something that I suspect could likely fail under any circumstances.  That still doesn't mean I'd go for top of the line, either.

You do your research on what the product purports to be, you pays your money, and you takes your chances!  [And that's throughout the cost and name range.]

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#4 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,222 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2018 - 10:05 PM

Well who said you have to spend a lot of money on fans?

And no i dont mean by dodgy ones you find on ebay.

What sized are you looking for? how many?

One can score some decent ones for around $10 to 15 a pop

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#5 ozzynotwood

ozzynotwood
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2018 - 10:35 PM

Well who said you have to spend a lot of money on fans?

And no i dont mean by dodgy ones you find on ebay.

What sized are you looking for? how many?

One can score some decent ones for around $10 to 15 a pop

I'm undecided but the case is going to be the Thermaltake Core X9 so I think it will need a few fans to get the air flowing.

Z370 AORUS Ultra Gaming 2.0 (TPM 2.0), i7 8700K, 32gb HyperX Fury, H100i CPU Cooler, GTX1050 Ti WindforceBenQ GL2580(H) x3, 970 PRO SSD, WD Red HDD x3, Seasonic Focus Gold 650w, Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow, W10 Pro.

#6 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,222 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2018 - 10:39 PM

Did you commit already to that case or are you still choosing?

Any reason why you are considering that case?

Are you doing some sort of threadripper or i9 build?

Edited by MadmanRB, 06 August 2018 - 10:39 PM.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#7 ozzynotwood

ozzynotwood
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2018 - 12:10 AM

It's in my shopping cart, I'm open to other options until I hand over my credit card.

Airflow, more space for maintence/upgrades.

i7 8700K, 16gb RAM, 2nd apps only, just future-proofing myself. Did this with the last build a& got a sold 8 years out of it. I multi task alot & I like everything to be fast & responsive.

#8 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,509 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:06:12 PM

Posted 07 August 2018 - 06:58 AM

my case came with 4 x 120mm fans installed.....look for a case that includes them....its much easier

#9 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,222 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2018 - 07:37 AM

It's in my shopping cart, I'm open to other options until I hand over my credit card.

Airflow, more space for maintence/upgrades.

i7 8700K, 16gb RAM, 2nd apps only, just future-proofing myself. Did this with the last build a& got a sold 8 years out of it. I multi task alot & I like everything to be fast & responsive.

Eh the Thermaltake Core X9 is way overkill for that.

Plenty of great high airflow cases out there that are cheaper and as for space for upgrades and such most standard cases can do that

If you want a good and mostly affordable case that is great for airflow I recommend the Fractal Design Meshify C, plenty of room in that case for large GPU's.

Granted the meshify C doesnt support a lot of hard drives but how many are you planning to use?

If you need something that supports a lot of hard drives the Phanteks Enthoo Pro M is a good option

If you were building a threadripper system then the x9 is a great option but you are only using a i7 no need to gio crazy on EATX

Edited by MadmanRB, 07 August 2018 - 07:39 AM.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users