Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet stops working

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Shinx

Shinx

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 PM

Posted 06 August 2018 - 07:07 PM

The internet just stops working on my computer after a while. Restarting the computer fixes the problem, but then it just happens again.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,976 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2018 - 07:21 PM

Please publish a Speccy system snapshot and provide the web address for it in your message.  Here are downloadable step-by-step instructions for doing this:

- Using Speccy,  PDF Format 
                     - Using Speccy,  MS-Word Format

It helps to have details on the hardware involved and the system configuration overall.  This question may be more appropriate for the Networking forum, but even to determine that requires more information and exploration first.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#3 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 819 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 AM

Posted 06 August 2018 - 11:43 PM

Hi, yes we need more info, speccy will give us more then enough, however it's not specific enough for your problem. so we need some more.

Press the win + x keys together select Powershell(admin) from the options, copy each of these cmd's separately and after copying each one, right click anywhere in the powershell window, the cmd will append to the prompt, press enter after each cmd. 

Four notepads will open, please copy paste each one here. (from a good suggestion from Britechguy I use $home )

Systeminfo |out-file $home\info.txt

Notepad $home\info.txt

Get-NetAdapter | out-file $home\adapter.txt
notepad $home\adapter.txt

Get-NetTCPSetting | out-file $home\setting.txt

Notepad $home\setting.txt

Get-NetIPConfiguration | out-file $home\config.txt
notepad $home\config.txt

The first cmd is a mini speccy contains mostly what we need, avoids having to download an executable, and me having to waste time looking through a lot of unneeded data.

#4 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,976 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2018 - 08:19 AM

Jenae,

Might I ask you a small favor, and it's mostly for my benefit, but may benefit others?  You're clearly big into PowerShell, and my depth of experience with it is limited.   I would love to know, at the highest possible level, what it is that the commands you ask be run do and what, precisely, it is you're looking for in the output they produce (as it's my guess that it's usually a very specific item or items) and what would be a good/bad value, when possible.

There are so many different diagnostic methods available under Windows, and they always seem to be increasing in one way or another.  One of the ways I learn about them is asking those who use something that I currently don't about what they're doing and why they're doing it.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#5 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 819 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2018 - 09:33 AM

Hi Brian,  

My daughter joined the forum's years ago (she finished a computer science degree and interned at my company). I already was well known in the industry. I have done work for MS, I do not however work for them. Some 50 odd years of experience, plus being both an economist as well as a computer scientist ( I was among the first to graduate in Australia) I know Gates, last saw him at lunch here in 2013. My main interest is the registry I was one of the first to work on developing it.

My daughter complained that a sexist attitude existed because she found a lot of resistance to her posts, mainly from less qualified members, for a lark I said I would impersonate her. That's where Jenae comes from.

Time moved on and we grew to be a major player in the Asian pacific area, based in Australia most of our market was in Asia so we had to develop ways of getting information from remote clients, without much effort from them. Hence I have written hundreds of cmd's to glean a great deal from any remote computer, obviously these cmd's are very useful on forums as well. 

Those you see above are designed to give the global internet settings being used on that computer, these settings are also reflected in the registry, and often can be tweaked or indicate a global setting that is causing problems (we are interested in the internet custom settings, for example Auto tuning level being set to disable when it should be Normal..), the others are connection specific (similar to ipconfig) and information relevant to the Nic's the system info tells us mostly what the first summary of msinfo32 would, this can be extended to give a lot of info:- run this from an elevated Powershell prompt:- (powershell (admin) type, cmd (press enter) then:-

echo > 0 & systeminfo >> 0 & WMIC /Node:localhost /Namespace:\\root\SecurityCenter2 Path AntiVirusProduct Get displayName /format:list >> 0 & wmic PATH Win32_VideoController GET Description,PNPDeviceID /format:list >> 0 & wmic logicaldisk where drivetype=3 get Name, Compressed, Description, FreeSpace /format:list >> 0 & tasklist /v >> 0 & net start >> 0 & echo >> 0 & notepad 0 (press enter)

Needs a little tidying up, (just do some manual formatting) tells a lot about a remote computer all output to one notepad. You need to have it attached on forum's like this, otherwise it is too difficult to read.

Some cmd's are very sophisticated and many would not be understood, I do not believe in a free lunch, so I give away only to mum's and dad's on forums like this, and try to keep them simple.The main advantage and I am proud of this, is their ability to output to a text file, I wrote them myself and they are free for anybody to use, I have been asked and offered a lot of money for the complete list, however I will give all to my old university freely. Unfortunately I have cancer (hopefully I am on the mend) and spend a lot of time in hospital.You are not the first to ask on this forum, I will try to put together some more common cmd's and post for all to use.

#6 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,976 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2018 - 10:31 AM

Jenae,

First, sorry to hear about your diagnosis and I hope that your treatment(s) are successful and you don't have to go through "the cure making me sicker than the disease" as some, unfortunately, do.

I got my undergraduate degree in computer science in 1984, very early on in the development of the field as a whole, and there were a dearth of women involved at that time.  At the same time, and it was most peculiar, the small group I hung out with included myself and another gentleman along with three women who were enrolled in the program (and the group, other than myself, were all "older" students - in their 30s to my late teens/20s during that time).  I think we had a total of about 7 to 10 women in the program of probably around 60 or so in my class.  It was interesting to see how things unfolded over the next several years, particularly when I went to work for an American telecomm giant that was ahead of its time in terms of promoting diversity of all sorts actively.   I had quite a few female coworkers, though not a 50/50 split, but more than enough that I truly never thought about gender as far as the workplace or technical expertise was concerned.

I want to be clear that I am not asking you to give "an information dump" and to hand over your "trade secrets," just trying to get a bit more information regarding what you do elect to share.

For instance, in the above, the Systeminfo command is pretty self-explanatory in its name, but I was wondering what in the output you'd be looking at in the context of the issue that started this thread and the same for the others.  There are some commands whose purpose is not in any way immediately obvious based upon their names, but that's not the case here.

It is, of course, entirely up to you what you do or do not wish to offer in terms of degree of explanation/detail.  But the only way I could hope to possibly get anything was to ask and you have posted many, many instances of using a series of PowerShell commands, piping their output to a text file, then asking that the result be posted for your review.  I'm just trying to learn about what it is you're reviewing when you do this and what information one can glean from it.

As an aside, I always find it interesting when Command Prompt is invoked from within PowerShell or vice versa.  In most cases I stick to one or the other.

#7 jcgriff2

jcgriff2

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 1,109 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2018 - 01:31 PM

Update your networking drivers.
Microsoft MVP 2009-2015
Microsoft Windows Insider MVP 2018 - Present

#8 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 819 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2018 - 05:23 PM

Hi John, nice to hear from you, You were not the person I was referring to BTW, and I also hope you are on the mend , just had some good news, latest tests indicate the all clear, just received a call from my Doctor. One more  operation, due in 2-3 weeks time should have me able to live a normal life and I hope a longer one. I have had a couple of very rough and painful years.

You could be right about updating the drivers the info I asked for will help us determine this. Brian the systeminfo will assist us in understanding the system capabilities and what version of windows he is running, the full cmd (the long one) also queries the AV's installed, the amt of disk space left on drives and the Video card installed. Running services are also very important as some people erroneously believe tweaking sites, and get it wrong.

#9 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,976 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2018 - 05:29 PM

tweaking

What is your definition of this term?

I agree with what you've asserted, I just think that either you or I is using "tweaking" in an idiosyncratic manner, and it's probably me.   I just think of it as adjusting or attempting to tune a system, which seems to be to be a huge aspect of the advice offered across the BC forums as a whole.  When something is not working you tweak the system to get it back to normal (or, at times, increase its performance above its baseline in some specific way).  When you use it I sense an extra element which makes tweaking a pejorative that I really can't put my finger on, but perhaps I am incorrect.

#10 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 819 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2018 - 06:53 PM

Hi, that's a very good question and I suppose many of us would have a differnt appreciation of what it means, in this context it refers to both the hardware and the software of a computer.

My basis comes from my passion which is motorsports, and modifying cars.

When you buy a computer and have pre installed or install yourself an OS then what you get is a developers idea of how the computer will function, what it will be capable of doing and what you can do with it.

As far as computers go I do think you have to include Mod's as well as tweaking.

Again the reference for me forms it's basis in motor vehicles.

Tweaking is to take the existing system using the utilities that are inclued and improving performance, using natively supplied utils. some of whom would include:-

running the AV (which should only be windows defender)
using disk clean to remove uneeded files etc..  
Disabling the services using services.msc (if you know what you are doing, and in sensitive environments removing telemetry. As well as through the registry, there are over 600 services on win 10.
disabling superfetch
disabling (turning off) indexing
modifying startup programs, task manager
changing settings or turning off features using PC settings or control panel
changing file assoc from defaults
setting your preferred browser as default
changing the way you access your account through log-in
accessing the built in hidden admin account

And many, many more, basically you have not modified anything you have only tuned the car to your liking using the developers supplied tools.

As opposed to modifying where you would add items or remove developers tools.

Add new or additional ram
Make registry modifications that are non default(this area cases most of the trouble)
Add an SSD to relace the HDD
upgrade the PSU
remove users ability to access some elements of the system, for example modify registry or user account details.. etc (although you can use gpedit for this, it is not always available (Home for example).

And many, many more, I hope you get the general theme I apply here, this is not anything official (I doubt anybody has ever sought to quantify it) just my own take on the subject. I welcome any additional comments, I do not mod on this forum, I note you do, maybe we are being discourteous to the topic starter and we should move this to somewhere more appropriate, I will leave that to you.

Edited by jenae, 07 August 2018 - 06:56 PM.

#11 xrobwx

xrobwx

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 PM

Posted 08 August 2018 - 08:16 AM

If I can say a short piece here: 

jenae, I hope and pray your recovery is complete and without issue. 

Also, thanks for sharing your expertise here as I have learned quite a lot from you. 

I also want to thank others for their time and efforts, Brian & John, especially. I have learned so much from reading their posts, informal education and knowledge are invaluable assets you guys and many others have imparted here.

Many thanks!

7581204627.png

#12 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,976 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2018 - 08:20 AM

. . . maybe we are being discourteous to the topic starter and we should move this to somewhere more appropriate, I will leave that to you.

As far as I'm concerned we've just been filling time and having a side loop on a thread until the requested information was forthcoming, which it has not been.

There's a difference between having side conversations while waiting to help and hijacking a thread.  It appears we may have lost the original poster immediately after the original message anyway, as there's been nothing but complete silence in response to the requests for additional data.  One cannot problem solve in an information vacuum.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users