Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sorting Out Duplicates

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 MGBY

MGBY

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 AM

Posted 12 October 2006 - 03:06 AM

Is there a tutorial available any where on how to delete duplicates safely? Thanks. YOYO. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Pencilsalesman

Pencilsalesman

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 AM

Posted 16 October 2006 - 10:23 PM

Dup Killer is a free utility that identifies duplicates as well as letting you delete them.

http://dupkiller.bira.ck.ua/index_en.html

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2006 - 11:17 PM

As with any "clean up" application, a wise user will not simply push the "delete all" button, but will review the candidates presented as duplicates for deletion. Remember that WHERE a file resides is often extremely important, and that some files may actually need to reside in several places.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,389 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2006 - 04:33 PM

Personally I am wary with cleaning up duplicates. Cleaning up the wrong duplicate could cause a program not to work. Alot of dlls are duplicated in windows, but they may be different versions. If you delete an older one, a program that requires it may no longer work.

#5 MGBY

MGBY
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2006 - 07:33 PM

Lawrence & John: The points you have raised are absolutely germane to the issue. One need to keep these critical points in mind prior to undertaking any deletion of duplicates. I , myself am very, very wary when doing deletion of duplicates, but what do you do with all these unnecessary duplicates taking up all those valuable space? Can you suggest a credible software one may employ to minimize the inherent danger in doing deletion of duplicates?? Or facilitate in identification of the duplicates ?? Or would it be best not to do any deletion of duplicates?? Thank you very much for everything. YOYO. :thumbsup: :flowers:

#6 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,389 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2006 - 08:02 PM

This day and age is space really that valuable? When you consider that you can go out and purchase a brand 160 gb hard drive for under $60, and that the duplicates may be taking upcouple hundred megs at the most..it does not seem like a big deal anymore.

#7 MGBY

MGBY
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2006 - 08:37 PM

Lawrence: Your point is very well taken. In weighting what the consequences may be by a misdirection? I shudder in having to deal with the nightmare of removing a file by mistake. I have concluded that it is best to leave the duplicates alone. And, life is easier in getting a large hard drive to remedy the issue of space than it is to try to deal with an inoperable computer precipitated by deletion errors. This is a very valuable lesson here indeed. I appreciate all your support and words of wisdom. Thank you very much. Regards. YOYO. :thumbsup:

Edited by KoanYorel, 21 October 2006 - 03:15 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users