Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do I access my router when a service provider is blocking access?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Sevrin

Sevrin

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 AM

Posted 06 August 2018 - 06:50 PM

Okay so, I'm with a third party internet provider, and they told me that shaw blocks access to my routers settings page, but I can't get support from one of their technicians because it's a holiday.
So when I type 192.168.0.1 nothing happens. If I reset the router to factory default I can access it for a few seconds, but if its plugged in to the internet I quickly lose access. My wireless access to the internet doesn't work anymore because I reset it, and I'm not sure how to get it up and running again. It's hard to experiment because I can only look at the router settings while the coax cable is unplugged. What the hell do I even do? I need to be able to access my router without resetting it every time, and I need to set up my wireless network again. I have a technicolor tc8717t and am using windows 7 ultimate.

The two things that would help most: tell me how to access my router at all times. and tell me how to set up wireless internet without being connected to the internet, then connect the internet later.

Edit: I called shaw themselves and they say it's literally impossible for them to do what my third party provider suggested. (not to mention very illegal) and the technician told me he had absolutely no idea what's wrong and that in the entire time he's been working in tech support he's never heard of a router/modem that can't be accessed while connected to the internet. I also got default wireless access back so that part is fine, now I'm just back to my main problem of not being able to access my settings page.

Edited by Sevrin, 06 August 2018 - 07:13 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 AM

Posted 06 August 2018 - 07:04 PM

I doubt that you can access your router at all times if it is, technically, not owned by you and your ISP controls the firmware and that controls access.  Yours is the first and only case I know of where the end user does not have login access to the modem-router and the ability to change whatever they see fit (and if they're not cautious, making things very ugly by doing so).

If it really is a need to be able to get to your wireless router at all times then I'd probably either return the supplied modem router and get a straight modem, to which I'd attach a router of your own purchase, or I'd turn off all wireless from the modem-router, making it in essence a modem (except for whatever might be plugged in to its ethernet ports directly) and get a router of your own which will be connected to one of those ethernet ports and handle all the wireless traffic and routing.

Unfortunately, even if you owned this device, it does not appear that it could be flashed with DD-WRT, as it's not a supported device.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#3 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,799 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2018 - 07:42 PM

The sneaky things the ISP's do with their modem/router units, this is one of them.  If the modem goes down for whatever reason, it disables the router.  Once the router has internet access, it gets the configuration from the ISP and blocks any user from changing any parameters.

#4 Sevrin

Sevrin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2018 - 08:00 PM

Guess this is the kind of bleep you gotta deal with when going third party :-/

#5 Replicator

Replicator

• Members
  • 194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 PM

Posted 07 August 2018 - 08:22 AM

Can you disable your internet connection at the source (phone or pwr line), reset the router to factory, then access the interface and change the DNS settings to use OpenDNS or Googles using 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4?

Better still engage a proxy or OpenVPN to test.

Reconfigure the other necessary settings then reconnect back to the WAN and see what happens?

Edited by Replicator, 07 August 2018 - 08:24 AM.

The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear!
CEH, CISSP @ WhiteHat Computers Pty Ltd

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users