Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I bought a laptop from US Amazon. Can I use it in Europe?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ElectricYouth

ElectricYouth

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 PM

Posted 06 August 2018 - 03:27 PM

I bought a laptop from the USA. Can I plug the battery adapter into the sockets of The Netherlands? 

I have 2 options:

-Use a socket converter so I can plug it in. (Will the difference in volt etc. destroy the battery?)

-Insert the detachable plug from a European Toshiba laptop into the battery of my new laptop. (The voltage might be different)

New laptop battery details:

Model: PA-1650-86

Input: 100-240V ~1.6A 50-60Hz

Output: 3.42A

Made in China

Detachable plug in: 7A, 125V

Detachable plug in of European Toshiba: 2.5A, 250V~

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,024 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 PM

Posted 06 August 2018 - 03:56 PM

I would either acquire a charger that's meant for use in Europe or take along a voltage converter and use what you've got.  The "plug converter" as you call it generally isn't just a plug style changer, but includes a module that steps the voltage down to the style of outlet it provides.  I have one of these from my travels many years ago.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#3 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 841 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 PM

Posted 06 August 2018 - 04:21 PM

New laptop battery details:

Model: PA-1650-86

Input: 100-240V ~1.6A 50-60Hz

Output: 3.42A

Made in China

Detachable plug in: 7A, 125V

this adapter will work as long as you have the correct adapter for the end of the AC cable or if you replace the ac cord with the European version for the netherlands.   

Edited by mightywiz, 06 August 2018 - 04:22 PM.

#4 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 389 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 PM

Posted 06 August 2018 - 04:28 PM

Standard European mains supply is 220V 50Hz so your existing power supply is fine - no "voltage converter" required - you just need either a plug convertor or a European style mains input cable to fit your power supply.

A European supplied charger would be to the same specification,

#5 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,024 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2018 - 04:48 PM

Thanks to those who did the research on the actual power supply supplied with the laptop.  I should have done that myself.

It makes perfect sense that these should be "self sensing" regarding the voltage input and produce the correct output worldwide.  The power supplies meant for desktops generally have a switch that allows you to designate what input will be coming in, and you just change the plug accordingly.  The laptop power supplies do that detection and switching internally (at least for the most part).

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#6 ElectricYouth

ElectricYouth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 PM

Posted 07 August 2018 - 06:07 AM

Thanks for the replies! Sorry I'm a noob and the terms I used may have been confusing. But from what I understand everything should be fine if I change the mains cable (3 prongs) from my US laptop with the mains cable (3 prongs) of my EU laptop?

However the cables are not identical.

The US cable: 7A 125V

The EU cable: 2.5A 250V

Is that not going to be an issue?

US Laptop powerbrick

Input: 100-240V 1.6A 50-60Hz 

Output: 19V 3.42A 

#7 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,024 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2018 - 07:59 AM

It shouldn't be.

The ratings on the "plug to power supply" line is the maximum draw it can handle and at what voltage 7A @ 125V or 2.5A @ 250V AC.  The actual draw of the power supply itself is 1.6A, well below the rated limits of either supply line.

#8 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,011 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 PM

Posted 07 August 2018 - 06:18 PM

I believe that US plugs look like this -

Attached File  US 2 pin plug.jpg   30.68KB   0 downloads

And european ones look like this, although there is a three pin variant but of the same dimensions -

Attached File  European 2 pin plug.jpg   51.4KB   0 downloads

Your charger will work with both power supplies, all you need is a US to European adapter which you should be able to find in any good electrical store and certainly on the likes of Amazon and eBay. Or if you really feel like paying big bucks, in your airport of departure !

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users