Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC pump stopped working (second in 2 weeks)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 j69c85h

j69c85h

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 PM

Posted 06 August 2018 - 02:23 PM

Hi,

My PC pump for the coolant system stopped working today. Two weeks ago, I had replaced the pump due to the same issue. What would cause a second pump to stop working?

I guess I need to isolate and test the pump in case a PC component is at fault, but I am not sure how to do that yet.

Some details:

Windows 10 Pro 64 bit 

Intel Core i5-2500k CPU @3.30Hz

GeForce GTX Titan Black

The new pump I bought was a direct replacement of the previous - XSPS ION Pump/Reservoir.

My system is set to the power-saving option via BIOS.

This PC is primarily used for gaming.

The PC is second-hand and was custom built originally by a friend about 5 years ago.

My knowledge on PC building and repairing is minimal. (Replacing and the pump was hard-going.)

Thanks in advance for help with my query. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,427 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 AM

Posted 06 August 2018 - 02:43 PM

I'm no water cooling expert but from what I have read distilled water should be used in the system. Some people recommend specialized coolant. I can't see why a pump would fail in such a short time other than it was defective to begin with.

http://www.performance-pcs.com/watercooling-fluids-additives/aquatuning-at-protect-coolant-clear-canister-5000ml.html

#3 j69c85h

j69c85h
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2018 - 02:52 PM

Thanks for the link JohnC_21. I forgot to mention the coolant I am using. It is - Mayhems Ultra Pure H20.

Someone just pointed out to me (thanks dad!) that my new pump is still under warranty. So I may as well just replace the pump and hopefully, as you say, it was simply defective. 

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,427 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2018 - 02:54 PM

Thanks for the update. One thing you may want to consider if the pump fails again is to replace your tubing. I'm not sure if it's possible something from the tubes entered the system and borked up the pump. If the tubing is old then I would consider replacing it.

#5 j69c85h

j69c85h
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2018 - 02:58 PM

Ok, thanks for the tip. Hopefully all will be good but if the pump breaks again I'll have the tubes on my hit list. Cheers.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,427 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2018 - 03:03 PM

Good Luck with the new pump.  :)

#7 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,845 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 AM

Posted 06 August 2018 - 07:30 PM

You can pay a lot of money for that special water when all you need is De-mineralized, de-ionized water, at one third the price.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users