Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Grc's Shieldsup

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 MGBY

MGBY

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 PM

Posted 12 October 2006 - 02:58 AM

There is a site operated by GRC, with a utility called ShieldsUp that test the integrity of your computer's security. Has anybody used GRC's ShieldsUp to measure their computer's security integrity? If you have, is this site credible? and can you trust this test to give you a true picture of your computer's security status? I had heard so much that had been said of this individual named Steve Gibson that runs GRC ad he has been dubbed as security guru and his words are sacrosanct(?), in which what ever he says you should follow it to the teeth. what do you think? Thanks. YOYO. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SpiritWind

SpiritWind

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 AM

Posted 12 October 2006 - 03:04 AM

I used "Shields Up" right after I installed my firewall and many who "advise" on various
forums recommend using this "test"; however, other "tests" on the integrity of a newly
installed firewall are also recommended to be done .

Edited by SpiritWind, 12 October 2006 - 03:07 AM.

#3 no one

no one

• Members
  • 843 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2006 - 07:14 AM

I've used GRC Sheilds UP for 6-7 years and recommend it highly.(I used it as my home page for a couple years) Steve Gibson it about as good as it gets for windows security, as he doesnt play any favorites.

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster"

Posted Image

#4 MGBY

MGBY
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2006 - 07:22 AM

It is good to know it is not all hypes! Steve Gibson and GRC appears to be very credible indeed. I had used Shieldsup few times at friends'( IT PROS) prompting. So far, the results has been very positive( but I can not forget a software of his nearly wrecked a friend's computer). One thing I do not understand, when listening to him or going through his site, his tone in delineating issue of concern is always so intensified. Perhaps he should calm down a bit. Cheers. YOYO. :thumbsup:

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2006 - 07:19 AM

It is an excellent tool for determining if your computer is properly shielded from internet exposures.

His other software is also excellent, but read the instructions carefully - some is not for novices.

#6 killmypc

killmypc

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 AM

Posted 18 October 2006 - 07:22 AM

I use this also....LOVE to see the GREEN! :thumbsup:

#7 MGBY

MGBY
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2006 - 02:16 PM

YOU GUYS: It is very assuring to get your positive feedbacks. Thats what I am hearing from everybody. There has been nothing but good things about GRC from everyone. I am begining to develop an affinity for GRC. I sure love seening those greens as well!! Thank you . YOYO. :thumbsup: :flowers:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users