Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Asus recovery problem

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 AlexA90

AlexA90

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 AM

Posted 06 August 2018 - 12:16 PM

Hello everyone,

I wante to recover an Asus using the hidden partition, it doesn have the original hard drive the laptop came with, its was a new one split it into 2 partitions, a C with windows and a D. I selecterd partition 1(the options were partition 1, 2 or windows and 2 partitions) and text showed up saying partition 2 was selected and since the stuff wasn't backed up from D I panicked cancelled the process. When it says partition 2 will it really wipe out the D drive? Or can I access windows again somehow and back up the D drive just in case? Rebooting it only sends me back to the recovery thing. I tried booting in safe mode and still sends me to the recovery.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,312 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 PM

Posted 06 August 2018 - 12:39 PM

On another computer download Lazesoft System Recovery. Run the program and click create CD or USB flash drive. In the dropdown box select the target OS. Boot the CD or USB in your Windows 7 computer. Use the Windows File Manager to copy files from D: to a USB external drive. After you have made sure all your data is backed up then you can attempt to do a restore. Make sure you have backed up everything including emails and browser bookmarks. The USERS directory on the C: partition is where you will find any files in Downloads, My Pictures, etc.

http://www.lazesoft.com/lazesoft-recovery-suite-free.html

Can you tap F8 at boot and select Use Last Known Configuration? If that does not work select Repair Computer after tapping F8 and do a Startup Repair. It may take up to three attempts. System Restore is also available.

#3 AlexA90

AlexA90
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2018 - 01:11 PM

I tried last known configuration, also sends me over to the recovery, I don't see an option for start up repair in the f8 menu. I'll try making a CD with the lazesoft, do I have to press anything at start up so it runs the CD?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,312 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2018 - 01:45 PM

No, once you create the CD in Lazesoft it will boot up if your CD is the first boot device. 

After Pressing F8 Repair Your Computer should be the top most item. I'm not sure why you would not have it.

access_advanced_boot_options_windows_7_v

After Repair Your Computer you will get this Window.

dell-backup-and-recovery-manager-system-

Edited by JohnC_21, 06 August 2018 - 02:08 PM.

#5 AlexA90

AlexA90
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2018 - 02:08 PM

Yeah not sure why I don't have the option, I attached a pic of what shows up.

Attached Files

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,312 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2018 - 02:17 PM

Yeah, that is strange. I can't remember if the base Windows 7 did not have this option and then appeared in SP1. You have Windows 7 SP1, correct? You can start the repair from a Windows 7 install disk.

You can download an iso of your Windows 7 version if you do not have an install disk. See this post. Burn it to a DVD and boot. Select Repair Computer. If Startup Repair does not work then see if you have a Restore Point before the problem.

repair-your-computer-windows-7.gif

#7 AlexA90

AlexA90
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2018 - 02:42 PM

I don't have a cd for windows 7, but since I finished making the cd with the recovery program I tried running it and it seems to saving the files in the D partition to an external hdd. If that goes well I'll just go ahead with the reformat.

Thanks for your help so far, greatly appreciate it!

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,312 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2018 - 02:46 PM

You can use a program called Rufus with the iso file to create a bootable USB flash drive. The flash drive will be wiped so backup any data on it first.

https://rufus.akeo.ie/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users