Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My laptop is overheating, and it seems to be the power supply?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Phxpcman

Phxpcman

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 PM

Posted 06 August 2018 - 01:08 AM

I am baffled.

My HP Pavilion dv6-7029wm Entertainment PC, is running really hot. At first, I thought it was the flat screen TV that I use via HDMI cable for a monitor. But after having tested connecting/disconnecting all externals (with speed fan engaged), the GPU temp is still at around 54C, even with the monitor connected.

But, when I plug in the power supply, the temp shoots up to about 85-95C within minutes. I blew out the fan, and that seemed to help a little, but it really didn't make much difference. Right now, the GPU is at 53C, and the fan is moving only lightly (low gear, so to speak).

Also, the power supply is the original that came with the laptop.

Can anyone help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,515 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 PM

Posted 06 August 2018 - 04:08 AM

I would think the fan should speed up if it is overheating. You could open it up and do a more thorough

cleaning.

That was originally a Windows 7....right? The problem could be the mother board...not the power supply.

HP Pavilion Dv6-7029wm Product Number B5S12UA Genuine Original OEM Laptop Charger AC Adapter Power Cord 65W - Walmart.com

$16.99

More at Amazon...$10 +

Note that those are 65 watt. Check your power supply for the correct wattage. Could be 120 watt.

How to clean overheating HP Pavilion dv6-7029wm - Google Search

Edited by buddy215, 06 August 2018 - 04:11 AM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,925 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 PM

Posted 06 August 2018 - 07:34 PM

One of the things I do to new units is to isolate the power supply fan from the rest of the case and if needed, add another fan inside the case to exhaust out the top of the case.  Close off the vents for the power supply inside the chassis as the heat generated in the PS normally gets circulated inside the case, raising the temps.

#4 Phxpcman

Phxpcman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 PM

Posted 08 August 2018 - 02:18 AM

Buddy215,

Thank you very much. Yes, the fan does speed up when the temp goes up...but it has not been getting so hot since I blew it out a couple of days ago. The GPU is still getting up to about 65C, though...I may need to take the case apart and blow it out for real, with some compressed air.

It hasn't been cleaned like that since I got it about 6 years ago...

(I know, you're saying - WHAT???)

:lmao:

But I keep it very well ventilated, on a glass desk, with the vents actually off the edge of the desk, to give plenty of air circulation.

Also, if I do need a new power supply, I appreciate the information.

I appreciate your counsel, and I apologize for the delayed reply.

~Clinton

Edited by Phxpcman, 08 August 2018 - 02:19 AM.

#5 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 394 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 PM

Posted 08 August 2018 - 04:19 AM

Laptops generally run at restricted performance settings when running on only the battery. When the charger/power supply in plugged in the performance settings are generally increased. So it is entirely normal for a laptop to run hotter when you plug in the power supply - this does not necessarily indicate any fault with the power supply.

Edited by rqt, 08 August 2018 - 04:20 AM.

#6 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,890 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 PM

Posted 08 August 2018 - 08:17 AM

I suggest you look at the tech specs for the processor(s) in your machine.  Your model number suggests that it came with an AMD A8-4500M APU.  The maximum normal operating temperature for this device is 100° C.   Your initial report of 85-95° C would be unusual if the machine is at idle, but certainly not if it's under heavy load.

You should, of course, do the occasional blow-out with canned air, blowing in the opposite direction  of the normal air flow followed by going in the direction of normal air flow to get the maximum amount of clinging dust dislodged.

You're still within normal operating limits, and unless this is occurring when the machine is at rest and doing nothing there's little cause for concern.   If it's doing this when under full load doing something strenuous it's utterly unsurprising.  Sitting here typing to you on an A12-9700P the temperature is 56° C for the CPU and 55° C for the GPU (which are pretty much one and the same anyway) with variation into the low to mid-60s for both under light routine use.  Under heavy/stressful use they get significantly warmer than that.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users