Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Stripped screw help

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Rosekitten

Rosekitten

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 AM

Posted 05 August 2018 - 09:20 PM

So I'm putting together a pc for my daughter and in taking apart the old computer to get a new fan bracket in place I found whoever last tried to take the old bracket off stripped the screw.  Is there something i can try on this? I have tried duck tape with a screwdriver, a rubber band, a flat head. It's in a spot where I can't cut the screw to better fit a flat head sadly. I was advised to sing a bit of solder to fasten the screwdriver to the screw or trying gorilla glue.. but I'm unsure of either idea. 

Edited by hamluis, 01 September 2018 - 04:15 AM.
Moved from System Bldg to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,445 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2018 - 09:40 PM

I had a stripped screw but not in a computer. What I did, and you need to be careful with this, is to use CA (super) glue and accelerator. I put a very small dab of superglue on the screw then I put some accelerator on the screwdriver to instantly set the glue when the screwdriver touched the glue. I was able to pull the screw but I didn't need much turning force either. If the screw in tight then I'm not sure my method would work. 

Somebody else will hopefully give some extra ideas.

#3 Rosekitten

Rosekitten
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2018 - 10:04 PM

Yeah the screw is pretty tight in there, like beyond what you really need to do for securing a computer bracket to the board. That's why I'm trying to be careful before trying too much. Not sure how much stress all the attempts are putting on the board. 

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,445 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2018 - 10:17 PM

I was thinking of possibly removing the head but that would requiring a grinding tool and metal shaving don't play well with circuit boards.

#5 Rosekitten

Rosekitten
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2018 - 10:22 PM

Not sure I have enough space to grind it either. Maybe tomorrow I can get a picture uploaded of what I'm working with. 

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,445 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2018 - 09:13 AM

If space is tight and you do decide to grind the head these flexible shafts attached to a dremel type rotary tool may work.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Flexible-Rotary-Drill-Tool-Drive-Flex-Shaft-Attachment-105cm-Extension-Universal-/312146974948

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users