Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing Chrome browser on a Windows 7 IE 11 computer

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 spetho2001

spetho2001

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 AM

Posted 05 August 2018 - 06:26 PM

Can anyone help me with the installation of the Chrome browser on a Windows 7 SP1 with Internet Explorer desktop computer? I would like to try it but a year or so ago I installed Chrome and I had an awful time with my computer. It really slowed down and had mouse lag. I could not figure out what was wrong so I uninstalled Chrome and it returned to normal. After the fact I found out that a couple of the, checked by default, settings in Chrome were PROBABLY the problem. The two settings enabled by default are under Chrome>Settings>System> Continue running background apps when Google Chrome is closed, and also Use hardware acceleration when available. However I never reinstalled Chrome. I am suffering with IE 11. I need an updated browser without installing Windows 10 and Edge. Has anyone had the same experience installing Chrome? Thank you, TomS

Edited by hamluis, 06 August 2018 - 07:40 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Web Browsing/Email - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,157 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2018 - 07:46 PM

I don't care for Chrome, FirFox is king in my book.  Getting faster and better with -0- issues.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 saw101

saw101

• Members
  • 464 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 AM

Posted 05 August 2018 - 08:11 PM

Never had any problems with Chrome. Have it installed, just in case, but rarely use it. Like OldPhil I prefer Firefox.

Other alternative browsers: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tips/web-browsers/6-alternative-browsers-that-arent-chrome-or-firefox/

https://www.pcmag.com/article/352241/8-unique-web-browsers-to-try

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

#4 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,085 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 PM

Posted 05 August 2018 - 08:33 PM

simple solution.

HERE

Why?....it works. it is user friendly. It has support if you need it.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#5 devilus

devilus

• Members
  • 359 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 PM

Posted 06 August 2018 - 04:17 AM

You can try the portable version of Chrome before deciding to install. If not satisified, uninstalling is easy. Just delete ChromePortable directory.

https://portableapps.com/apps/internet/google_chrome_portable

Self-built PC, Lian-Li PC-A70B, GA-EX38-DS5, Intel Core 2 Duo 3GHz, Leadtek 9600GT, Kingston 4GB DDR2, Enermax Galaxy 850W

Selective boot (F12):

Vista Ultimate SP2 32bit, installed 2008, Samsung HD502HJ (500GB, SATA)

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64bit, installed 2016, Samsung 850 EVO (120GB, SSD)

Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon 64 bit, installed 2018, Intel 320 (120GB, SSD)

#6 spetho2001

spetho2001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2018 - 07:31 PM

saw101,

Could you check your Chrome settings for me and towards the end see if the two I have mentioned in my original text are checked by default in your Chrome installation? I would appreciate it. Thanks, TomS

#7 saw101

saw101

• Members
  • 464 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 AM

Posted 07 August 2018 - 08:11 PM

saw101,

Could you check your Chrome settings for me and towards the end see if the two I have mentioned in my original text are checked by default in your Chrome installation? I would appreciate it. Thanks, TomS

My Chrome Settings:

1. Continue running background apps when Google Chrome is closed - OFF

2. Use hardware acceleration when available - ON

Why don't you give Firefox a trial run?

Edited by saw101, 07 August 2018 - 08:12 PM.

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

#8 spetho2001

spetho2001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2018 - 07:02 AM

saw101,

Thank you for doing that for me. That is very interesting. When I installed Chrome my computer ran awful and I could not figure out why and I could not find out. Both of those settings were checked by default and I have since checked other computers running Chrome and they are enabled. I uninstalled it and it ran OK. Later I found out that one or both of these settings MIGHT be at fault. I have been reluctant to install another browser since then. You are correct in that I ought to try Firefox as my friend has it on his Windows 7 computer and he likes it. My Internet Explorer 11 is not supporting the new video format HLS (I believe it is) so a lot of TV programs and videos will not stream on my computer. I know Edge and Chrome support the new format. Do you know that Firefox does? The old format was HTML5 and the new is HLS correct? 

I understand that I cannot use Edge with Windows 7? That is the main problem as I have been unwilling to switch to Windows 10 where I could use Edge. I understand that Microsoft will not support Windows 7 after 2020 so I suspect that Chrome and Firefox will stop supporting Windows 7 at that time also???

For now I will have to try Chrome or Firefox I guess.

Thanks again, TomS

#9 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,085 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2018 - 07:42 AM

Correct, you cannot use Edge in Win 7

Chrome and Firefox support will gradually decline......the decline of security support from Microsofty will be much faster....similar to the decline in win xp. Also antivirus support will also decline.

Firefox will not disappoint you. The addons are easily installed and are effective.

Just as a suggestion out of left field....have you considered running Linux ?

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#10 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,011 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2018 - 08:39 AM

Chrome is generally not a resource hog, but I turned off allowing it to run in the background when I've got no windows open.  It made not one whit of difference in how my computer behaved, though.

I think I have hardware acceleration off, too, but not because of system performance reasons.  I do a lot of work with screen reader users and there can be occasional clashes with screen reader software when hardware acceleration is enabled.

I am also an avid Firefox user in addition to Chrome.  I haven't touched IE in years.

If your hardware will work with Windows 10 it appears that the supposedly defunct free update period is not defunct in reality.  People have been reporting about doing successful upgrades using the Media Creation Tool up through last week.  The writing is clearly on the wall for Windows 7, and January 2020 is going to be here before you know it.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#11 spetho2001

spetho2001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2018 - 05:24 PM

Thank you everyone. Condobloke, I don't think I want to do Linux. Notice the word THINK.

#12 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,085 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2018 - 07:50 PM

Lots think the same way....until win 10 or win 7 or whatever fails their expectations (whatever they may be...different for all of us)

Then some dip a toe in the water. Some come away with a smile on their face. Some dont.

The simple way to "try it out"..?...is to 'burn' an iso of linux mint to a usb drive (thumb drive), boot your pc to that thumb drive....and take linux for a spin...free....it doesnt load to your hard drive.....so no changes are made to what you have.

if you like it....good.  If you dont, then thats ok, no harm done.

I found the hardest part of trying Linux was the dozens and in fact hundreds of differing opinions/choices etc etc that I was bombarded with.

I took the simple route. Tried Linux Mint on a thumb drive.....played with it....discovered it would do what i needed....at the time just simple browsing, news, messaging, emails, google, music, pics, skype etc etc.....and then I took the plunge and installed it properly to my hard drive wiping out all traces of windows.

I have never looked back. 

GcnI1aH.jpg

#13 spetho2001

spetho2001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2018 - 04:20 PM

Condobloke,

What size thumb drive did you need? What are the RAM requirements?

Thanks, TomS

Edited by spetho2001, 09 August 2018 - 04:20 PM.

#14 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,085 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2018 - 10:15 PM

Tom,

I used an 8 gb thumb drive

I now use that same thumb drive as a "recovery drive"....it still has the original Linux iso on it. I have never had need to use it...it resides on my desk gathering dust.

If your pc can run win 7....then you should be quite ok.

Brian

GcnI1aH.jpg

#15 spetho2001

spetho2001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2018 - 06:43 PM

Thanks Brian. Not sure what I am going to do at this point. I purchased an Acer Chromebook a while ago. It was cheap as I wanted to try it. I like the fact that you have no operating system on the computer. The operating system is on the cloud. This Chromebook works great and fast, no security updates, and it always has the latest OS to work with. I got your email and I will take a look at your blurb when I get a chance. I like the Linux idea and I thought of adding more RAM but I am not sure I need a Therabyte of RAM to look at the web and check my email. The Chromebook has 2 GB DDR Low Voltage Memory and eMMC 16GB and it works fine, plays all videos, and is fast as I said. Just not sure adding more memory is what I want. What do you think?

Thanks, Tom

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users