Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is there a way to reinstall the MMC snap-ins for Windows 10 1803?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ScarXL

ScarXL

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 PM

Posted 05 August 2018 - 11:53 AM

I recently bought a gaming PC with Windows 10 Home x64 1803 on it, and I wanted to enable the Group Policy because of some issue I had to fix. Nevertheless, that issue isn't important or a problem anymore, but there is another issue.

I used a batch file to enable the Group Policy. I downloaded it off this site:

https://www.itechtics.com/easily-enable-group-policy-editor-gpedit-msc-in-windows-10-home-edition/

Here is the batch file: https://www31.zippyshare.com/v/amVIkdVx/file.html

Needless to say the batch file worked and it did enable Group Policy, but after a restart I discovered that all of the MMC snap-ins stopped working. That includes Event Viewer, Task Scheduler, Windows Firewall Advanced Security and God knows how many more.

The error I'm getting on all of them is: "MMC could not create the snap-in." And that's it.

Is there a way to reinstall these snap-ins and fix the registry entries for them?

I've already ran DISM with an USB source and sfc /scannow, but no luck.

I've already deleted the registry entries at "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MMC\SnapIns" and "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\MMC\SnapIns" but no luck.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by ScarXL, 05 August 2018 - 11:56 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 927 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 AM

Posted 05 August 2018 - 09:39 PM

Hi, well if you wanted to use group policy you should have gotten the pro version, all the sites that tell you, you can get gpedit on home, are simply wrong (there are so many reason's for this). And since Vista days we have been advising people not to attempt it. Your issue is an example of why not. 

You will need to do a fresh clean install, it will take far less time then trying to fix this, And if you want gpedit, then get pro.Many of the more common usages for gpedit, can be preformed in home using registry modifications. You need someone who knows what there doing for this, MS have a site, it is written for system admins so is too technical for the average user to follow, you can do some damage here.

And, as a piece of advice before applying mod's ask here.

#3 ScarXL

ScarXL
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2018 - 06:38 AM

I'll reinstall in the future when I have better internet, don't feel like downloading 150 GB with 2.0 mb/s again. I can live without that MMC crap for now anyway, nothing else is broken

#4 ScarXL

ScarXL
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2018 - 08:26 AM

Okay I did a clean install of Windows 10 Pro 1803 x64 because the Windows 10 OS that came with the PC was broken in all aspects, BSOD after every Windows Update, language pack problems... now everything is working perfectly fine, including the MMC snap-ins. Someone close this thread please.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,828 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 PM

Posted 10 August 2018 - 08:31 AM

Glad everything is working now. BC does not normally close threads. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users