Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ext4 drive corrupted after installing wine

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 akki28

akki28

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2018 - 06:01 AM

Hello!

I installed wine on kali (2018.2) and then I tried to run it form terminal.  It showed me error and told me to run a command something like "apt-get update && apt-get update wine && ...." I don't remember but this is how it looked like.

then I installed diretx to play a game (which I was unable to play due to some error).

I rebooted then I got a message saying to run some command fsck (This is best I can remember.)

I saw grub loader but couldn't log in to linux.(because of that message).

I googled and tried to run command with something like fsck /dev/sda6 and a few others.

(Each website gives a different one.) None of them worked.

So I installed kali again on a different drive (Because I was unable to install it on the same drive)

And repeated same process of installing wine. That damn message started appearing again on boot.

After few attempts to log into linux even grub stopped working.

So I have now again installed linux on my pc.

Please tell me where I went wrong.

What is the problem with wine.

How to install It without that damn error.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,968 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 AM

Posted 05 August 2018 - 06:31 AM

What do you use your pc for...?...Kali is an absolute minefield for the inexperienced.

Kali Linux is a Debian-derived Linux distribution designed for digital forensics and penetration testing.

if you have Linux Mint installed now.....Wine is included in the Software manager

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#3 akki28

akki28
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2018 - 10:43 AM

I use pc for movies, gaming and ppts.

Yes I am inexperienced but wanna try it too.

Its kinda fun.

I downloaded it from https://www.kali.org/downloads/

About penetration testing I tried hacking my phone wifi hotspot but unsuccessful till now.

I am enjoying it.

Best part is you work error and two more pop up.

So please help me setting up wine.

I had to use mini partition tool in windows to delete those corrupted partitions and form a new one.

#4 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,353 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 PM

Posted 05 August 2018 - 03:04 PM

I'm gonna say one thing, here.....

Don't watch so much 'Mr. Robot'..!!! That program is more damn trouble than it's worth.....

And the reviewers all present Kali Linux in Mr. Robot as something that's 'fun to use...'! They really haven't got a clue...

Bottom line; if you want help on this forum, use a normal, mainstream Linux distro. Not something designed for the 'black-hat' community. It is absolutely NOT for inexperienced Linux users.....and nobody here will help you with it. Sorry an' all that, but I'm telling it like it is.

About penetration testing I tried hacking my phone wifi hotspot but unsuccessful till now.

I am enjoying it.

Yeah; ri-i-i-ight. And how long is it going to be before you start thinking it'll be fun to try that with the next-door neighbour's wifi network? Or your mates?

Word of advice; don't go there. Don't even think about it. For a start, you'll be breaking the law.....and penalties for that kinda thing are just getting stiffer, and stiffer.....

(*jeez*)

Mike.  :rolleyes:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 05 August 2018 - 03:18 PM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#5 Gary R

Gary R

MRU Admin

• Malware Response Team
  • 838 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2018 - 12:32 AM

I'm with Mike here.

As soon as I see someone who's got a problem with Kali I just move along to the next subject. Kali is for pen testing, it's not for anything else, and pen testing is for people who know what they're doing, it's not for beginners.

You want to use Linux for doing ordinary day-to-day stuff, get another distro, there's plenty to choose from.

#6 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 PM

Posted 06 August 2018 - 02:16 PM

Do not run Wine in Kali Linux. Put Kali Linux on a USB stick where it belongs and install Linux Mint on your hard drive.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#7 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,363 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 PM

Posted 06 August 2018 - 02:21 PM

Are you the guy who asked for help with Wine on Kali before? Because your request sounds very similar to this post: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/608814/wine-for-kali-linux-20/

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#8 akki28

akki28
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2018 - 12:30 AM

Mike you have a point but Those who are experts now were beginner once.
How to start from scratch?
About WiFi testing I know my limits I don't use what's not mine...
One of you suggested me one distro a month ago on other topic
I downloaded it and run it live.
But it was too much buggy.
Tell me a good one. (I can't remember the name of distro. But I'll tell you as soon as I remember it.)
And I didn't get "Mr Robot" thingie...
@captain chicken No I didn't asked that question.
I always Google first.

#9 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 PM

Posted 11 August 2018 - 05:55 AM

akki28, Did you read any of the responses on this thread? We have already suggested a good Linux distro to you, Linux Mint. Tell us a little about your hardware and what you want to accomlish and we will get you going in the right direction.

Rocky

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#10 akki28

akki28
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2018 - 06:00 AM

Here is the name of iso of distro I tried

MX-17.1_x64.iso

#11 akki28

akki28
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2018 - 06:02 AM

2GB RAM

No graphic card

i3

500GB

#12 akki28

akki28
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2018 - 06:12 AM

I usually play games, movies,ppt.

And I have a bit of interest in pentesting.

#13 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,731 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2018 - 06:26 AM

Windows is better than Linux for games and movies.

#14 akki28

akki28
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2018 - 06:27 AM

Can you help me to choose fron one of these...

Cinnamon 32-bit 64-bit An edition featuring the Cinnamon desktop MATE 32-bit 64-bit An edition featuring the MATE desktop Xfce 32-bit 64-bit An edition featuring the Xfce desktop

#15 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,731 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2018 - 06:31 AM

As you are new to Linux, your computer has only 2GB of RAM, and software for 32-bit computers is becoming obsolete, I suggest MATE 64-bit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users