Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Neighbours call police on young girl selling cookies

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,827 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 PM

Posted 05 August 2018 - 03:40 AM

A young girl’s attempts to sell homemade cookies has been thwarted after disgruntled neighbours called the police on her.

Savannah Watters, 10, was selling the treats outside her Cedar Falls home in Iowa, US, when police say they received multiple calls from residents concerned over the amount of traffic she was bringing to the area, WHO-TV reported.

One neighbour complained the increase in vehicles was a danger to children in the suburban area and that her daughter was nearly struck by a turning car.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/neighbours-call-police-young-girl-selling-cookies-045025465.html

Seriously? The kid should be rewarded for " having a go " instead of being inside playing console games.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Codemaster99

Codemaster99

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 AM

Posted 07 August 2018 - 12:27 PM

Being a fellow Iowan and knowing the area, the reason why the cops were called because Cedar Falls has an abundance of HOA's sections and snobby rich boogers that raise the alarm about anything that happens in the area, hell your late cutting your grass by one day they complain, this is one of those areas. The road she was originally on was an adjunction street to the main road. It was a perfect spot to sell and hardly had any traffic coming into the neighborhood, there was no danger at all.

From what I've heard it was the same neighbors calling over and over when the cops didn't do much the first few times. She has moved the sales to the front of her house now which has more traffic actually going into the neighborhood vs where she was from the curb.

She plans to open a bakery one day, the house is near where I work and actually stopped by to support her business.  

Heres the article from local Cedar Falls news outlet.
​http://www.kwwl.com/story/38810117/2018/08/Friday/police-called-on-sweet-selling-cedar-falls-girl

Edited by Codemaster99, 07 August 2018 - 12:34 PM.

#3 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,520 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 AM

Posted 09 August 2018 - 11:08 PM

We promote stuff like that in our neighborhood as we have Church bake sales and other types of homemade goodies for sale.

Any kids out in our neighborhood stomping the streets going door to door selling candy bars I'm always buying them.

We have a local grade school near us and the grade school kids are always selling stuff so they can get money for school events etc.

It's a good thing for the neighborhood and the kids and I'm glad I don't live in a snob neighborhood.

I think some people forget when they were kids doing the same kinda stuff.

I'm Grumpy Because I can Be Not Because I'm Old. :P :lol: 

“If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything.” (Mark Twain)

"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." (Mark Twain)

#4 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 1,091 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2018 - 09:49 AM

It never ceases to amaze how uncaring this world has become. Just like the instances of children selling lemonade and having the authorities called because they do not have a permit, How ridiculous!!!

Wake up people! This child has the gumption to get up off the sofa in an attempt to try to make her mark in the world and you would have us quash that??

Utterly despicable.............

#5 r.a.d.

r.a.d.

• Members
  • 826 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 AM

Posted 10 August 2018 - 10:48 AM

And if her dreams of one day opening her own bakery are realized, hopefully online purchases will be available as she has already gained a new customer. 

Edited by r.a.d., 10 August 2018 - 10:58 AM.

Bleepin' desert rat retiree in climes yet to fry brains (knock on cactus).

Past climes/best friend:  photo-91.gif

#6 crosssection

crosssection

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2018 - 08:12 AM

That little girl must be devastated or terrified... oh no

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users