Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Strange Firefox issues

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 pcblues

pcblues

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 PM

Posted 05 August 2018 - 03:24 AM

Hello ,

Using Lenovo Thinkpad win 8.1 64 bit main browser Firefox Quantum 61.0.1 64 bit with assorted add on's  that seem to work fine & keep me safe..  2nd browser Pale Moon latest version .

In the last few days I have problems accessing my profile page from a chat program I use , instead of going straight to the profile page .I get the sign in page.. when I  am already logged on to the program.. and when I try logging in It simply won't work , keeps going back to the log in page.

So I open a new window and try accessing the site directly.. but I get  :

"Your connection is not secure  & The owner of paltalk.com has configured their website improperly. To protect your information from being stolen, Firefox has not connected to this website."

Then I try Pale Moon , same result : "You have asked Pale Moon to connect securely to paltalk.com, but we can't confirm that your connection is secure."

OK so  I  log on to Paltalk with a different ID.. and suddenly everything works fine..Firefox takes me to profile page.. no warnings .. nothing,.. I can edit or change stuff.. all works fine..

How is this possible.. common sense would dictate that I get the same access/ result no matter what ID I use..

For the record I have tried to post  @ the Firefox forum.. but  can not find the " register" page.. grrr...

I'd love to hear any suggestions/ideas /explanations why this happening..

All my programs should be up to date and scans come up clean.

Thanks in advance , cheers

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,952 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2018 - 03:46 AM

Open the firefox menu, scroll to 'help'....then click on troubleshooting Information....go to the bottom of the blue block, and click on. about:profiles

Above profile default, click on 'create a new profile'

Follow the prompts, making that new profile the default.

Does the problem persist ?

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#3 pcblues

pcblues
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2018 - 04:24 AM

Hi :)

Yet to try that..

But how can a browser give unsafe warnings for a program using one ID but work perfect. , with the same program , no warnings with a different nickname ??

It should react the same way to that program no matter what .. no ??

#4 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 5,952 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2018 - 05:06 AM

that is logical....yes.

I am eliminating the possibility of a corrupt profile, because corrupt profiles can result in illogical/weird happenings.

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#5 pcblues

pcblues
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2018 - 02:41 AM

Well... :)

Profile done , thanks for the tip !

Forgot to take note of the add on's , but got most ( I think ) and  I can get profile page now..

Still get warnings when I try to open that page directly..   my next riddle ..

if  that website is unsafe.. how come  Firefox lets me open in through another program...

#6 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 5,952 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2018 - 04:00 AM

riddle me this batman.....lol...I have no clue

However...a firefox add on I use to block adds etc

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/malwarebytes/?src=search

I use this instead of adblock, ublock etc etc

It would be interesting to see if it blocks that page

#7 pcblues

pcblues
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2018 - 08:43 PM

Hi again :)

The riddle remains unsolved , MB doesn't block it ...

Did some reading on that FF warning re the invalid certificate , some say it could happen because a site's slow or delayed response..

Have to wait and see if it gets resolved..

:busy:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users