Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Hard Drive installed; Crystal Disk sees it but nothing else

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 kuningatar

kuningatar

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 AM

Posted 04 August 2018 - 05:07 PM

So I got a new computer. It came with a 2TB Toshiba HDD, I removed that (which was what the OS was originally meant to boot from) and replaced it with the C: and D: drives from another computer, which work flawlessly and boot the OS from the C: SSD 

I then placed the 2TB Toshiba HDD that was originally the boot drive for this computer (and its only drive) back into the computer along with the other 2 and while Crystal Disk is seeing the drive, nothing else is. Not File Explorer, not Disk Management, nothing. I figured maybe it was just a hidden files/drives issues so I went to folder options and unchecked the option to hide hidden files, folders, and drives, rebooted, and looked in Disk Management again; still nothing. At the moment it has no letter assigned to it, its just showing on Crystal Disk as "Disk --" 

Anyone have any clue how to remedy this? It is definitely installed correctly.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,002 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 AM

Posted 04 August 2018 - 05:17 PM

How is the drive detected in your UEFI/BIOS when attached? Maybe try a different SATA cable.

Open a command prompt with the drive attached.

Type:

diskpart

list disk

Is the disk detected?

#3 kuningatar

kuningatar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 AM

Posted 04 August 2018 - 05:53 PM

How is the drive detected in your UEFI/BIOS when attached? Maybe try a different SATA cable.

Open a command prompt with the drive attached.

Type:

diskpart

list disk

Is the disk detected?

It does not appear to be. Have not messed with the BIOS yet. The weird thing is as I said, Crystal Disk sees it and recognizes it, it just has no letter assigned. I figured it must be some problem where the drive needs to be formatted, but then I can not find the drive on the computer to format it and unfortunately while Crystal Disk can see the drive, it does not offer the option to format it.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,002 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 AM

Posted 04 August 2018 - 05:57 PM

If the drive does appear in your UEFI/BIOS settings then the first thing I would look at is maybe the power cable and data cable. See if a different SATA port will work. If the drive is not detected by diskpart I have no idea why Crystal Disk would see it. If the disk still has the OS on it then if you feel up to it remove the SSD and attach the Toshiba to the same port using the same power and data cable. See if the computer boots.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users