Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Are You Getting The Speed You Had Signed Up For?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MGBY

MGBY

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 AM

Posted 12 October 2006 - 02:07 AM

What you had contracted with your ISP for a specific speed down/up, are you getting it? Are you satisfied? When you are suppose to be receiving up to 6 Mbps, and they are not meeting contractual accord, and not very cooperative, how can one remedy the problem? Thank you for everyone's support. MGBY. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 randyrayd

randyrayd

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 PM

Posted 12 October 2006 - 09:53 AM

Get another ISP.

You might tell them this is what you plan on doing and ask how's about them lowering the monthly fees a little.

It would be frivolous to get an attorney IMHO. There probably wouldn't be enough money involved to attract one.

rd

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 PM

Posted 12 October 2006 - 10:51 AM

I think the important phrase is "up to." Remember that download speeds are often a reflection of the host server. There are several good on-line tests for download/upload speed that you may use to determine the AVERAGE speeds over time (choose several times during the week and several tests to arrive at a fair estimation).
If you are using DSL, then slower speeds may be a reflection of the physical state of the phone lines, etc. Most ISP's service desk can run diagnostic tests for speed and other troubleshooting issues. Request they do so.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 kev25v6

kev25v6

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 PM

Posted 12 October 2006 - 01:02 PM

Im on Virgins upto 8meg broadband and my icon shows it running at 8.1 but my download manager on firefox never shows speeds anywhere near that, im lucky to get 800kbps from most sites with it dropping to 100kbps sometimes.

#5 MGBY

MGBY
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 AM

Posted 16 October 2006 - 07:47 AM

You guys : I had done a numerous online diagnostic testing on the speed- was when it was confirmed that my suspicion was right that i am not getting what i am paying for . What I had been receiving was around an upgrade above dialup. After much wrangling with them( what a pain) and using the magic phrase " i am going to change ISP", it seems that doesn't shake them one iota! It is an unending struggle being a consumer. thank you. YOYO. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users