Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Clean install on SSD

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 copiman

copiman

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 AM

Posted 04 August 2018 - 03:16 PM

I will need to replace my SSD that came with the laptop. Then I will do a clean install of Windows 8.1 Pro which is whats on it. I have done many installs on HDDs but never on SSD. Are the procedures the same?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 AM

Posted 04 August 2018 - 10:05 PM

yup no difference, the procedure is the same

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 PM

Posted 06 August 2018 - 10:01 AM

About the only potential problem you could have would be the SSD not being recognized and activated.

Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 has a built in optimizer for ssd's it's called Trim.  Windows is supposed to detect a ssd and activate it using the optimizer.  If there is a problem you can check to see if Trim is activated by doing the following.

This needs to be run from the Elevated Command Prompt using an Administrator account.  

Click/tap on the Search icon (magnifying glass) in the Taskbar and type cmd.

PLrbrFc.png

You will see Command Prompt under Best match, right click on Command Prompt and select Run as administrator.

Copy and paste the following command in the Command Prompt followed by pressing Enter.  

fsutil behavior query DisableDeleteNotify 

If it returns a 0 then Trim is active, if it returns a 1 copy and paste the command below followed by pressing Enter.

fsutil behavior set disablenotify 0

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users