Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need video camera output (AV) to laptop input to capture content of old tapes

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 rderkins

rderkins

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 AM

Posted 04 August 2018 - 02:27 PM

I have an old camera (Canon ZR900) and a box of tapes I am looking to preserve in a more accessible format.

The output cable with the camera plugs into a single "AV" jack on the device which then splits into three male AV cables (red and white audio, yellow video).

I am certain that this cable functions, as I was able to get audio and video through my television.

What I would like to do, if possible, is output to my laptop so that I can use recording software to generate video files.

The laptop is an ASUS GL752VW.

It does have an HDMI port, but it is output only.

I suspect the only option will be USB input.

The question I have is this:  Will this work?

I don't want to just buy any female AV to male USB adapter and slap it together.

I suspect the laptop will fail to recognize the device and won't know how to process the data stream.

If I can get the laptop to recognize this as an audio/video input stream, I suspect I will be to find a way to do what I want.  If not, I will address that as a separate issue.  I know I could buy a DVD recording device that can take AV input if I need to and then convert.  Could connecting directly to a USB port on a laptop actually work?

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 lti

lti

• Members
  • 593 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 AM

Posted 04 August 2018 - 05:07 PM

You will need a USB video capture device. You will need one with audio inputs because that laptop does not have a line-in jack (some only capture video). I don't have one to recommend, but I can say that the StarTech SVID2USB2 has poor video quality.

#3 rderkins

rderkins
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2018 - 05:36 PM

Thanks for the tip. I’ll look into it. I can always grab the audio with my desktop in a pinch. I appreciate the fast response.

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,991 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2018 - 05:55 PM

Take a look at some of the options on this newegg page:  https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Description=usb%20video%20capture&Submit=ENE 

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#5 rderkins

rderkins
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2018 - 06:48 PM

And even a link to my favorite website :). A friend of mine wanted to set up a VR rig and I was able to spec out everything he needed for a min, mid, and max range VR ready system, including the thermal paste, and send them to him. You gotta love Newegg.

#6 rderkins

rderkins
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2018 - 08:16 AM

Links not working. Looks like maybe a problem on their server? Anyway, Ill poke around and see what they have. If there is a device you recommend, just let me know.

#7 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 891 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2018 - 04:17 PM

That camera is outputting NTSC video which is the same as an antique, analog TV set and will not give you anything that is not low resolution (625X525 interlaced).  Are they special tapes or could they be captured from a different playback device?

What are the tapes?

(Even SVideo is a 40% improvement in the picture)

Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#8 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,845 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 AM

Posted 09 August 2018 - 10:23 AM

I looked into dozens of devices to take analog video and input it into a PC for recording and editing.  USB devices and PC cards didn't have the real power to capture full content, with limitations on scan rates, resolution and video formats made for unsatisfactory results.  I found that a straight conversion of VHS and VHS© tapes straight to DVD with a stand-alone device to be the best.  Once on a DVD, it was then easy to to edit and re-burn the content to the final result.  

#9 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,991 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2018 - 10:46 AM

I found that a straight conversion of VHS and VHS© tapes straight to DVD with a stand-alone device to be the best.  Once on a DVD, it was then easy to to edit and re-burn the content to the final result.  

And you'd be shocked at just how many VCR and recording DVD players are sitting on thrift store shelves, fully functional but relegated to the "donate pile" at one point or another.

You can also still buy them new at some Wal-Marts, at the very least.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#10 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,845 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 AM

Posted 09 August 2018 - 09:01 PM

I got my unit, a Funai from a friend who saw them at BigLots for $100. USD.  He bought three, one didn't have the tape to DVD copy button but a little magic with line out from the VHS to line in on the DVD gave it life.  One other was shot, the tuner was bad but worked fine otherwise.  I attempted the repair but lack of schematics stiopped me in my tracks.  I asked the friend what he wanted to do with it and he said keep it or toss it.  I kept it and made full use of the cross record function and now with the digital broadcasts, the tuner is worthless anyway.

#11 rderkins

rderkins
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2018 - 08:53 PM

What are the tapes?

They are Mini DV cassettes

Edited by rderkins, 10 August 2018 - 08:54 PM.

#12 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 389 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 AM

Posted 11 August 2018 - 04:43 AM

Your Mini DV tapes are already digital & any conversions to analogue & back to digital should be avoided if possible. The intended way to transfer video off these cameras was with the IEEE1394 / Firewire interface, but that interface is not generally fitted to modern PCs. Your best bet for successful transfer is to find an old computer with a Firewire interface that you can buy/borrow/use,  & transfer your videos one at a time to that machine. You will probably want to do some transcoding of these large video files to reduce their size - then copy them to whatever current format you choose.

(You could also apparently use a modern Thunderbolt equipped Apple machine with a Thunderbolt to Firewire adaptor. USB to Firewire adaptors for PCs are apparently troublesome so should probably be avoided)

Edited by rqt, 11 August 2018 - 04:49 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users