Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Printer Installation Problems

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 spbcooperator

spbcooperator

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 AM

Posted 04 August 2018 - 10:56 AM

This week I bought a new cheap printer (Brother HL 1112), but I am having problems with the drivers.

When i try to add printer in excel or word - as this isn'r listed, it says driver unavailble, even though O have repearted downloaded it from the brother web site.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,142 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 AM

Posted 04 August 2018 - 10:59 AM

I am confused by what you mean by "add printer in excel or word."

You do not add printers from within applications, but from Control Panel -> Devices & Printers.  Once the printer is known to the system it is available to any application that can print.

You also should have received a quick start guide with your printer.  Please follow the instructions contained therein to the letter in order to set up your printer correctly on your computer.  This often bypasses the need to go to Control Panel at all.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#3 spbcooperator

spbcooperator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2018 - 11:50 AM

I have already been through control panel, the icon shows the printer is there - the page also says Driver is Unavailable.  If I left click  click on the the printer ICON, there are icon for suppkies, ueser manual and a link to the brother solutions website.  With right click  troubleshoot causes and error and remove device does nothing.  The driver will not install from the CD rom which does not work with in 10 anyway.

#4 opera

opera

• Members
  • 994 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 PM

Posted 04 August 2018 - 12:21 PM

You could just download it from here and install it.

https://support.brother.com/g/b/downloadlist.aspx?c=us_ot&lang=en&prod=hl1112_us_eu&os=10013#SelectLanguageType-11_0_1

(It says in notes you need to be logged in as admin to install it)

#5 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,142 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2018 - 12:41 PM

And I always do what opera is suggesting.  The drivers as shipped can be long out of date as one has no idea how long ago the CD was pressed and how long since then the product has been on the shelf.

Getting the latest drivers from the manufacturer support pages for the model in question is absolutely the way to go.  Like any software install, you've got to be an admin to do it.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

~ Austin O'Malley

#6 spbcooperator

spbcooperator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2018 - 01:58 PM

Been there (several times), the driver downloads, unzips but doesn;t install

#7 spbcooperator

spbcooperator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2018 - 02:55 PM

I removed the printer from my settings - added via printers and devices in control panel, go the pop up message all set to go.

Control panel recognises the printer, but office (word excel) does not list it as a device.

Control panel says driver unavialble.

I will try to download the driver (again) as recommended above.  Control panel still says driver unvavilble and the applications still don't list the printer.

Edited by spbcooperator, 04 August 2018 - 03:19 PM.

#8 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,737 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 PM

Posted 04 August 2018 - 04:21 PM

I think your best course is to uninstall this printer comletely and start afresh.

Type 'Control' into Cortana/Search, 'Control panel'should appear in blue, click on this.When the panel opens go to the top right corner and select 'View by :- Small icons' then click on 'Programs and Features'. Give it a moment or two to populate the list of installed software then, one at a time, click on anything that says 'Brother HL1112' then click on 'Uninstall' at the top of the list, this will uninstall the printer. then re-boot.

As suggested, download the install or quick-start guide and the latest drivers. Then follow the instructions in the install/quick-start guide to the letter using the supplied software. You can skip any steps you have already done such as unpacking it and loading ink tanks. Once the printer is installed you can update the software using the latest drivers through 'Device manager'. Finally, go to 'Printers and Devices' in settings and just check that your Brother printer is selcted as the default printer. You should then find that all applications will print through this printer.

Chris Cosgrove

#9 spbcooperator

spbcooperator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2018 - 11:55 PM

Hi Chris,

Gone intp Prohrams and Features - there is nothing in the list with Brother or HL112/1110 series.  the problem seems to be that the driover is downloading.unzipping but not installing.  Because I have been trying to download the driver form the Brother support web page, could window's defender firewall be causing the problem, or do I have a corrupted win 10 update?

Also downloaded the quick installation guide - same as the sheet supplied with the printer, so no new info.

more info - when I click device manager - I get an error pop up:  Window cannot find {null}

Edited by spbcooperator, 05 August 2018 - 12:39 AM.

#10 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,142 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2018 - 11:20 AM

I suspect you have some sort of Windows corruption, so the next thing I'd try is:

~ Austin O'Malley

#11 bertiemae

bertiemae

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 AM

Posted 05 August 2018 - 12:09 PM

I couldn't install my turbo tax software on my windows 10 so I had a bright idea about installing it in a compatible mode like Windows 8 and that was the only way I could get it installed.  If it gives you that option you might try that.  I had to do that with my scanner as well. 

#12 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 593 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 PM

Posted 05 August 2018 - 07:01 PM

Hi, you reference word and excel, does this mean you can print otherwise and only these two app's will not allow printing? There is an known issue with earlier versions of MS office (it's a UAC thing). From the printer dialogue box (within word or excel) if you select "Find Printer" you receive a message "The active directory domain services is currently unavailable" this message is benign and can be ignored. You need to extend permissions to your user account to some registry keys, this allows the printer to be recognized and it works fine (had to work this out myself, I use office 2003, simply because to me, it's the best. 

#13 spbcooperator

spbcooperator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2018 - 05:29 AM

Latest - when I try to go into command prompt as administrator I get error message: Windows cannot find  -  C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe 

I have checked the directory via windows explorer, and the file is there as part of 12/04/18 system update.  And I have checked my User setting - and I definitely have administrator status.

One thing I have just noticed is a line saying I have to verify my identity - could this affect my access?

#14 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,142 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2018 - 07:50 AM

Did you try running SFC and DISM?

Everything you keep offering is pointing more and more toward either a corrupt Windows installation (which might be corrected using the previously mentioned tools) or some sort of insidious infection.

When Windows claims it can't locate Command Prompt or PowerShell you've got a big, honkin' red flag right there.

~ Austin O'Malley

#15 xrobwx

xrobwx

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 AM

Posted 06 August 2018 - 08:06 AM

Are you getting the driver from here? http://support.brother.com/g/b/downloadlist.aspx?c=us_ot&lang=en&prod=hl1112_us_eu&os=10013

There is also an uninstall tool at this link and firmware.

After you follow Chris, Brian and Jenae's advice, I'd start at this link.  

A side note... I hate printers..... :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users