Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Monitors randomly switch to "no signal" and PC locks up

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 jergarmy

jergarmy

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 AM

Posted 04 August 2018 - 09:35 AM

This might happen when i'm gaming or (more commonly) at night or when the computer is not in use.  It will just randomly go to "no signal" on both of my monitors and the computer itself will lock up (I hit caps lock and the light doesn't light up) but the computer as a whole doesn't do anything differently.  Lights are still on fans are still running at normal speed etc.  I have attached my event viewer info and BSOD data if that helps. 

Here is what I have tried so far from what I remember but it has been a month of troubleshooting so I may have forgotten things I have tried:

Reinstall Chipset

Reinstall USB

Reinstall Graphics Card drivers multiple times as well as reseated and swapped in a different graphics card with same results 

Threw in a different power supply with the same results

Checked temperatures and all are good

Reinstalled Windows

One thing I would point out that might be affecting it.  Almost every time after this happens I see the 4101 Event ID (Display) over and over again before I force a restart.  I have reinstalled my drivers after using DDU in safe mode to fresh install them and still I am getting no where with this.

Specifications:

Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i7 4930K @ 3.40GHz 24 °C
Ivy Bridge-E 22nm Technology
RAM
32.0GB DDR3 @ 667MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. SABERTOOTH X79 (LGA2011) 43 °C
Graphics
23EA63 (1920x1080@60Hz)
VG248 (1920x1080@60Hz)
4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 (ASUStek Computer Inc) 50 °C
Storage
931GB Seagate ST1000DM003-9YN162 (SATA ) 30 °C
119GB M4-CT128M4SSD1 (SATA (SSD))
1863GB Seagate ST2000VN000-1HJ164 (SATA ) 28 °C
465GB Samsung SSD 750 EVO 500GB (SATA (SSD)) 28 °C
Optical Drives
None
Audio

Realtek High Definition Audio

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

• Members
  • 387 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 AM

Posted 04 August 2018 - 11:04 AM

Hello jergarmy,

Something not right with your GPU info, do you have a link to from where you purchased the card;

4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 (ASUStek Computer Inc) 

A genuine GTX 1080 has 8GB of VRAM and not 4095MB.

Can you also post the brand and model name or number of the PSU for us.

#3 jergarmy

jergarmy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2018 - 11:17 AM

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GRRRW0A/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I bought this one about 2 years ago but that is a good point I didn't think off...I remember it having 8gb when I bought it so unless some memory on it failed.  Interesting

The PSUs I have tried on this PC

EVGA Supernova 1000 P2

Cougar CMX 1000W PSU  (I put in this one when I thought my other one was the problem just to verify the other one)

Thanks for looking at this!

#4 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

• Members
  • 387 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2018 - 11:42 AM

Card at the link looks ok and being two years I reckon you would have noticed the shortfall in VRAM before now, reason that I asked for the info btw is because there have been fake GPUs doing the rounds for a good while, something that has increased over the past couple of years due to the demand for decent GPUs by bitcoin miners etc.

Can you do the following for us first and then while we look at your Speccy report after powering down, disconnecting the power cord/s etc could you physically remove the GTX 1080 from the MB, reassemble the computer, connect your screen to an appropriate video port on the MB,power up and test.

Download then run Speccy (free) and post the resultant url for us, details here, this will provide us with information about your computer hardware + any software that you have installed that may explain the present issue/s. 

To publish a Speccy profile to the Web:

1. In Speccy, click File, and then click Publish Snapshot.
  2. In the Publish Snapshot dialog box, click Yes to enable Speccy to proceed.
  3. Speccy publishes the profile and displays a second Publish Snapshot. You can open the URL in your default browser, copy it to the clipboard, or close the dialog box.

The two PSUs are a world apart when it comes to quality and reliability but the idea was right, I wouldn't ever recommend using a 1000W PSU that was only Bronze efficiency rated for a prolonged period of time though and especially when there is an add on video card involved.

You are welcome btw  :)

#5 jergarmy

jergarmy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2018 - 12:13 PM

Here is the speccy  I also reseated that board and still only the 4 GB VRAM.  Weird.

#6 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

• Members
  • 387 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2018 - 01:05 PM

Can you let us know how the testing went with the GTX 1080 removed from the MB and then address the "to do" list below;

Some software is more accurate (reliable) than others and while Speccy is a handy tool it does sometimes post anomalous results, check the card with GPU-Z and you will most likely see 8GB of VRAM, download and info here

Couple of things of note in Speccy;

Power Profile
Active power scheme: High performance This is a form of OCing that causes instability, change it to Balanced in the Windows Power Plan.
Hibernation: Enabled A less than useless feature that is also known to cause issues, disable it;

To disable Hibernation:

1. The first step is to run the command prompt as administrator. In Windows 10, you can do this by right clicking on the start menu and clicking "Command Prompt (Admin)"
  2. Type in "powercfg.exe /h off" without the quotes and press enter. If you typed it in correctly, the cursor will simply start at a new line asking for new input
  3. Now just exit out of command prompt
Turn Off Monitor after: (On AC Power): Never
Turn Off Hard Disk after: (On AC Power): 20 min change this to Never, no point in turning off the HDD but leaving the monitor on and less likely to fall idle on you while you are troubleshooting.

You have iCUE installed, beta software that is known to be buggy, you don't want this installed while troubleshooting, see info here

You have multiple mouse drivers installed, uninstall any that are for devices that you no longer have/use.

#7 jergarmy

jergarmy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2018 - 01:32 PM

OK I apologize in advance because this is a really dumb question but... where would I hook up my monitor to the mother board?  I don't see an HDMI or VGA port anywhere on it.  Would disconnecting power to the video card treat is as just a conduit to the PCIE?  Again sorry, some of this is kinda new to me  :unsure:

#8 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

• Members
  • 387 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2018 - 01:55 PM

OK I apologize in advance because this is a really dumb question 

Tis me that needs to apologize as I had the wrong specs for your MB  :blush:

Will have to forego that suggestion and for now just do the other recommendations, again , sorry for the mix up with the specs.

#9 jergarmy

jergarmy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2018 - 02:13 PM

No problem at all!  I did all the other recommended steps.  As you said GPU-Z does show it at the 8GB VRAM so thats good. Here is the new speccy showing Hibernate turned to off, power plan turned to balanced, hard drive turn off turned to never as well as ICUE software and all but the one mouse drivers uninstalled.

#10 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

• Members
  • 387 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2018 - 02:43 PM

Thanks  :rolleyes:

Glad to hear that you got your 8GB of VRAM back  :thumbup2:

With how you have things now, download and run Valley benchmark (free) to put your GPU through its paces, download from here

Speccy looks better so uninstall as and when you see fit.

#11 jergarmy

jergarmy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2018 - 02:46 PM

I will update this in a couple days.  It usually lasts a few days then goes down again but hopefully *knock on wood*  this was the fix!  

Once again thank you Phil for all the help!  Greatly appreciated! :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

#12 jergarmy

jergarmy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2018 - 02:48 PM

Woops didn't see this post.  I will do that right now and stress test it.  Thanks!

#13 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

• Members
  • 387 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2018 - 03:01 PM

No worries and while we are here can I just add the following for you just in case things are fine for a few days but then something goes awry again, fingers crossed that it wont though;

Any repeat of the problem, uninstall all Nvidea software for the GPU using DDU and then manually install just the video driver for the card and test, quite often the other stuff that Nvidea also installs PhysX etc causes problems and not the GPU drivers.

#14 jergarmy

jergarmy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2018 - 09:01 PM

One more quick update regarding this issue.  It looks like those fixes have done the trick!  I have not had a crash since.  Thanks once again PhillPower for all the help!

#15 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

• Members
  • 387 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2018 - 09:12 AM

Great news and thanks for the follow up jergarmy  :thumbup2:

NB: Final nag from me, please be sure to create a new system restore now that you are happy with the settings.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users