Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Working HDD not showing up properly/not accessible

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 GSTDiandre

GSTDiandre

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 PM

Posted 04 August 2018 - 06:25 AM

So this morning, I remembered that the drive I use as an external HDD (via USB) has a Vista partition on it from the time when said HDD was on another laptop. I used to boot it from time to time just for fun but I hadn't done it in a long while. Since I was planning to delete the windows install from it and wanted to know what programs/data I should be looking to export before format, I decided to boot it again as an external HDD.

I boot it up, I get the Vista loading bar then blue screen with a STOP code. I thought it must be some driver error or something of the sort. I try again in safe mode, same BSOD. At this point I don't look further into it since the partition was for another laptop and decided to just reboot Win 7 from my main drive.

When rebooting, the drive just stopped working. When plugged, it would show up after 20-30 seconds as Local Disk (D:) but remains inaccessible with no size information or anything of that sort. I proceeded to install the drive on my second HDD bay to see if it's a faulty external HDD case. Same result. Drive shows up, can't be read from, chkdsk d: stays stuck on a blank line (doesn't even retrieve drive info, let alone start the check) and diskmgmt.msc keeps loading endlessly.

The thing is, I know it's only a logical error and that there is no lost data because 1) No physical damage was done to the disk throughout this entire process, I've moved drives around countless times and 2) I went back after the drive became unreadable and tried to boot Vista again. It worked. Same Vista loading bar, same BSOD. The partition still works.

But I don't know why my OS can't checkdisk the drive. So help would be appreciated :) Tell me if you need anymore info.

Update: The drive is showing up as a device (Toshiba+model number), but the drive itself is still inaccessible/uncheckable. 

Some Minitool Partition Wizard screens (Check file system doesn't work, starts and remains stuck): 

https://imgur.com/a/GCC6Hmc

https://imgur.com/a/XnfxDP1

https://imgur.com/a/O2k9pb9

Edited by hamluis, 04 August 2018 - 08:03 AM.
Moved from Internal Hardware to External Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 846 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 AM

Posted 08 August 2018 - 03:52 PM

Unbeknownst to most people, there are over 4 billion different stop codes!  What, exactly, is the stop code you are getting (i.e. 0x0000001E)?

Also, modern hard drives fail for a bunch of possible reasons; but, when they do, they often exhibit just the symptoms you are describing.

Luckily, there is a relatively easy way to find out if this is what's going on. Go to http://www.hdtune.com/download.html and download hdtunepro_570_trial.exe which is free for 15 days. I'd suggest you save it before you install it; but, either way, you need to install it and run it.

Change the drive to your Toshiba drive and then look first on the Health tab. The most important numbers are what is in the data (fourth) column for (05) Reallocated Sector Count and (C5)Current Pending Sector. If either one of them is not zero, plain and simple, the drive is failing. As long as it's there, you might want to look at (BF) G-sense Error Rate. The number in the data (fourth) column is how many times the drive has detected excessive shocks.

Even if (05) and (C5) are zero, I would strongly suggest for you to go to the Error Scan tab and run it by clicking Start. It may take hours if you have a one or two TeraByte drive; but, that is the surest test to verify the drive's operation. If even one red box appears, you found the reason why your PC is misbehaving.

Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users