Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Prof locked in Boot from CD mode

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 JenB5

JenB5

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 PM

Posted 03 August 2018 - 12:31 PM

I have an XP Prof. I will not get out of the boot from cd mode. I am not able to obtain the safe mode with F8 and I do not have any prompt option to run a task. What can I do to get access and do an updated backup of data at the bare minimum, I would prefer to keep using it since I cannot afford a new pc.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 opera

opera

• Members
  • 1,017 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 AM

Posted 03 August 2018 - 12:34 PM

Are you able to access the bios options?

#3 JenB5

JenB5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2018 - 04:35 PM

Yes,

I am able to get to - CMOS Setup Utility by pressing F12 or Delete.

I am able to get to - Q-Flash Utility by pressing F9

But I am not able to push F8 for safe mode.

#4 JenB5

JenB5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2018 - 04:42 PM

I received this message ONCE and cannot get into my computer / Window XP Since.

Technical Information:

STOP:  0x000000F4 (0X00000003, 0x8AA56DA0, 0x8AA56F14, 0x805D22DA)

>>> ???? what does all this mean???? <<<<

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 PM

Posted 03 August 2018 - 05:12 PM

If you need data off the computer and it's critical the first thing I would do is download Lazesoft Recovery Suite free on another computer. Run the program which will allow you to create a bootable CD. Click the top of the Window to select Create a CD or USB. In the dropdown box select the target OS.

Boot the CD and select Windows File Manager. You can copy and paste between the hard drive and a USB flash or external drive.

http://www.lazesoft.com/lazesoft-recovery-suite-free.html

Have you tried setting your BIOS settings back to default?

#6 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,261 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2018 - 10:30 PM

I'm petty sure that XP doesn't have a "boot from CD mode" that you can lock in.

Why do you think there is such a thing?

What is your system make and model or is it something assembled from separately purchased components?

If the system is a Dell what is the Service Tag Number?
If the system is an HP what is the serial number?
If the system is an Toshiba what is the serial number?

If the system used to work properly what do you think happened to it since the last time it did work properly?

Is it your desire do have the system boot from the hard drive, as far as you know is the hard drive bootable and the system used to boot on the hard drive?

If the system BIOS is a boot order/priority which might be something like:

Boot from CD

Boot from Hard Drive

Boot from USB

Boot from floppy

Boot from Network

If you think the system is only booting on the CD what describe what happens when you don't have any bootable CD present - then the system should skip to the next device in the boot order.

What happens if you unplug the CD data and power cables (system powered off and unplugged from wall of course)

The STOP:  0x000000F4 error messages are always hardware problems.

When the first parameter of that STOP error is 0x00000003 (like yours) that is even more assurance that the problem is hardware.

If the system will not boot you can boot on some other media like a Hiren's boot CD so you can at least maneuver and copy your data to an external device and even run some diagnostics

Would you like instructions on how to do that?

One thing you can do is make the hardware configuration as simple as possible so all you have hooked up in a hard drive, keyboard and mouse (you don't even really need a keyboard and mouse).

Physically unplug everything else to remove those components as a variable from the equation that makes up the problem.  Eliminate as many variables as possible and see if the system will boot - or it might complain about something else.

Here are some general notes about the STOP error 0x000000F4:

Has the system been relocated, dropped, bumped, kicked, punched or whacked for misbehavior prior to this message?

Have you made any hardware changes lately...  added additional RAM, new video card, or anything like that?

With that error, there are not usually too many good clues to go by - sometimes it is a one by one process of elimination or replacing the easy to replace components that might be suspicious to get them out of the equation that often has too many variables and then if the problem is not resolved, start eliminating the other variables.

To zero in on the problem, consider only changing one thing at a time and see if the problem goes away.  It not, make one more change and retest until the problem does go away, then the last thing you changed should be your prime suspect.  If you make too many changes at once and things start working, it may be hard too hard to tell which variable in the equation is really the problem.

If you have any external USB devices installed that are not necessary to boot (like a USB drive, scanner, camera, printer, etc.) you can unplug everything that is not necessary to boot leaving just the keyboard and mouse at least temporarily to eliminate them from the equation.  Actually the only thing you need to boot is a keyboard.   Then, replacing one item at a time until the failure returns.

Be sure your system is powered off before poking around or unplugging/replugging things, then power back up and see how things look.

Here are some general ideas that I have read about:

I have read that a faulty CD/DVD drive can cause the problem so you may want to unplug that temporarily and see how things look.

If the system is a desktop, a faulty of failing power supply could be the issue.

A low CMOS battery on your motherboard could be a suspect and since they are usually easy to replace, just replace and get that out of the troubleshooting equation.

It would not hurt to run a chkdsk with error correction either from Windows or if your system will not boot, run it from the Recovery Environment or something like a Hiren's Boot CD. If you need instructions on how to do any of that, say so and I will send instructions (no Windows media required).

It never hurts to run some diagnostics on your system RAM memory and to be thorough you can use the one from Microsoft and the popular memtest86+ and also reseat your RAM (remove one stick of memory at a time and replug it) in case there is a marginal connection.  If you need to know how to do that, say so and I will send instructions.

To try to rule out any possible loose connections, after unplugging your system from the power source (like the wall or power brick) discharge any static electricity in your body by touching a metal part of the system chassis and carefully unplug and replug every connection and cable in your system that comes undone without too much force being sure to only do one thing at a time so you don't get things mixed up.  Just unplug it, and plug it right back in.  Things that don't come loose easily, just give the a couple wiggles to be sure the connection is secure.

If you have a discrete separate video, audio or network card that is not built into the motherboard, remove it and put it right back in to be sure there is not a loose connection there.

Some OEM computer manufactures (Dell, HP, IBM, etc.) and most hard drive manufacturers have non destructive diagnostics you can download from their  WWW support pages to test your HDD.

Edited by joseibarra, 04 August 2018 - 10:39 PM.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#7 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 841 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2018 - 05:55 PM

do you have a disc in the drive?  take it out, then try to boot system.

#8 JenB5

JenB5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2018 - 10:57 PM

No disc in drive.  I have no idea what   Joseibarra is asking I am NOT a computer writer / IT person.

I tried to gain a Boot Up disc for XP but that link did not have any instructions, nor could I find anything referring to XP.

#9 JenB5

JenB5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2018 - 12:57 AM

Do I  RUN the download onto my laptop??

Cause the option to create a boot up disc is not there.

Then download to the USB Drive??

If you need data off the computer and it's critical the first thing I would do is download Lazesoft Recovery Suite free on another computer. Run the program which will allow you to create a bootable CD. Click the top of the Window to select Create a CD or USB. In the dropdown box select the target OS.

Boot the CD and select Windows File Manager. You can copy and paste between the hard drive and a USB flash or external drive.

http://www.lazesoft.com/lazesoft-recovery-suite-free.html

Have you tried setting your BIOS settings back to default?

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2018 - 07:18 AM

You download and install Lazesoft on another computer. Run the program. The top option is to create a bootable CD or USB flash drive. Click it and you will get a dropdown box asking for the OS of the target computer. In your case it would be XP. Once the CD or USB is created attach it to your XP computer and boot it. You can use the File Manager to transfer your files to a USB external drive. Because this is an XP computer you may not have the option to boot from a USB flash drive. A CD would be required.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 PM

Posted 12 August 2018 - 01:25 PM

Is XP Pro...the original install on your hard drive?

Have you ever booted into XP Pro after it was installed on your hard drive?

Sounds to me like a bad install of XP Pro...or a hard drive problem...or a CMOS/CMOS battery problem.  When you boot into the BIOS...is your hard drive properly reflected?

We need some basic information about your situation.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 12 August 2018 - 01:27 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users