Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HDD to SSD

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 co1615

co1615

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 AM

Posted 03 August 2018 - 12:29 PM

Hello,

I just bought a 128gb ssd. I want to do a fresh install of 8.1 & for now just have the os on it. My OEM Win HP Pavililion P6-2326s came with Win 8. I upgraded it about 5 yrs ago to 8.1. Can I use an 8.1 iso with the existing oem product key since it has been upgraded or do I need to use an 8 iso & then go through the upgrade process again? I plan on keeping the other hdd's in service, this is just a speed boost change. I'm open to any suggestions about better performance.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,221 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2018 - 12:41 PM

it should have the key, if you upgraded to 8.1 it will retain your key

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#3 co1615

co1615
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2018 - 12:48 PM

So what you are saying is the key has changed after the update so it is now an 8.1 key? Any reinstall would act like it's 8.1 & not 8?

#4 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,221 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2018 - 12:51 PM

yeah it should, the key is held in the BIOS and on the hardware.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 PM

Posted 06 August 2018 - 11:07 AM

So what you are saying is the key has changed after the update so it is now an 8.1 key? Any reinstall would act like it's 8.1 & not 8?

The product key is embedded in the BIOS and will not change when Windows 8 is upgraded to 8.1. 

As for a reinstall... if you do a fresh installation you could install either of the 8 or 8.1 as there are still websites where you can download the Windows 8 ISO.  But there isn't any reason you can't just download the Windows 8.1 ISO and install it.  The original product key will still work as it is saved in the BIOS.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 co1615

co1615
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2018 - 11:42 AM

I did the fresh install on the ssd. When I connected the hdd back up it still uses that drive as the "C" drive. I did change the sata ports so the ssd was in the sata 0 & hdd is in sata1 as I read somewhere the "C" drive should be in the lowest # port. I've since read conflicting info. I am currently backing up the hdd & will then wipe it clean. I'll have to reinstall programs once I decide which ones go to which drive.

#7 co1615

co1615
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2018 - 09:08 PM

I've completed the backup to external drive. The ssd is working fine & is recognized as the "C" drive now. I formatted the old hdd when it was externally connected assigning letter "F" to it & have it installed internally now. The problem I now have is the old hdd isn't being recognized in device manager or disk management. I changed the sata ports it was plugged into with no positive result. Any ideas?

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 PM

Posted 09 August 2018 - 09:12 AM

Check your power and data cable connections.

Look in the BIOS to see if the hdd is recognized there.

When you looked in Disk Management was there a drive marked “Unknown” and “Not initialized”?  This would look similar to the image below.

Attached File  disk management1.PNG   188.17KB   0 downloads

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 co1615

co1615
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2018 - 09:23 AM

It showed when I formatted it as unallocated, but then disappeared on restart. It did show after another restart or 2 & I should be good now. I appreciate all the help with this project.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users