Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New HP computer, removed HP crapware, can't boot into BIOS now.

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Micallen

Micallen

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 PM

Posted 03 August 2018 - 12:12 PM

I bought a new HP Deskpro 400 G4 MT for work.  As I was setting it up and getting tired of HP pop-ups, I decided to remove all the HP programs.  The last step for me in setting this up was to add a new video card.  I need to boot into BIOS to change the video output, but apparently you need one of those HP programs to do so.  I've tried ESC, F12, and F10 when booting.  All end up leading me to either a black, unresponsive screen, or Windows boots normally.

Any ideas?

Edited by hamluis, 03 August 2018 - 12:44 PM.
Moved from System Bldg to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

Micallen

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,448 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2018 - 01:27 PM

If you can boot to Windows 10 which I believe is your OS then you can access your UEFI settings through Windows. Tapping Esc at boot should have at least got you a menu screen. I can't see how removing HP crapware prevents you from getting that menu. 

https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/access-bios-windows-10

#3 Micallen

Micallen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2018 - 03:39 PM

If you can boot to Windows 10 which I believe is your OS then you can access your UEFI settings through Windows. Tapping Esc at boot should have at least got you a menu screen. I can't see how removing HP crapware prevents you from getting that menu. 

https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/access-bios-windows-10

When I do this, and it gets the the point it restarts to go into bios: it powers down, tries to come back up, I get 1 loud BEEP, then just black screen.

Micallen

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,448 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2018 - 04:13 PM

Power down and pull the power cord. Hold the power button down for 30 seconds. If you can do this with the CMOS battery on the motherboard removed so much the better. Replace the power cord and CMOS battery if removed. Reboot. Remember to ground yourself on bare metal of the case before removing the CMOS battery.

This could just be a coincidence and the computer failed. If the above does not resolve the problem I would take it back to the place of purchase for a new computer. I have never heard of this being caused by removing the HP software. 

#5 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 895 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2018 - 11:41 AM

HP's can be very, very picky about adding a video card.  What happens if you go back to the original video setup (meaning remove the added video card)?

Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#6 Micallen

Micallen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2018 - 06:17 AM

Power down and pull the power cord. Hold the power button down for 30 seconds. If you can do this with the CMOS battery on the motherboard removed so much the better. Replace the power cord and CMOS battery if removed. Reboot. Remember to ground yourself on bare metal of the case before removing the CMOS battery.

This could just be a coincidence and the computer failed. If the above does not resolve the problem I would take it back to the place of purchase for a new computer. I have never heard of this being caused by removing the HP software. 

I can re-boot and it comes back up fine in Windows.  I just can't boot into BIOS.

Micallen

#7 Micallen

Micallen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2018 - 06:18 AM

HP's can be very, very picky about adding a video card.  What happens if you go back to the original video setup (meaning remove the added video card)?

Yep, I've given up on this video card and I'm sending it back to Amazon.  I will add more RAM (only 4GB now) and see if I can get by with onboard graphics, at least for a while.

Edited by Micallen, 06 August 2018 - 06:19 AM.

Micallen

#8 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 895 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2018 - 06:56 AM

If you go to this page at HP and click on Graphics, it lists the video cards that HP thinks will work in the PC; but, none of them are anything close to screamers and the onboard video may even be faster:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05361522#AbT10

Many BIOSes have an option for which display to initialize first (onboard or PCI).  Did you try looking for that option? (It might fix your problem)

#9 Micallen

Micallen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2018 - 07:01 AM

If you go to this page at HP and click on Graphics, it lists the video cards that HP thinks will work in the PC; but, none of them are anything close to screamers and the onboard video may even be faster:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05361522#AbT10

Many BIOSes have an option for which display to initialize first (onboard or PCI).  Did you try looking for that option? (It might fix your problem)

After reading up more on the video card I bought, I decided I was better off with more RAM than that $40 card, so I sent it back.  As far as the BIOS, that is why I was posting here.  I can't get into the BIOS on the computer at all.

Micallen

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,448 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2018 - 08:30 AM

Other people with similar computers had the same issue. One  person was able to finally access BIOS by using a PS/2 keyboard but I don't know if you have a PS/2 port on your computer.

For those who face this problem I was finally able to invoke the BIOS Settings by using an old PS/2 type of keyboard. It was simply not possible with a USB keyboard, including the brand-new HP unit that came with the computer. The USB keyboards I tried all worked fine and were able to invoke the test menu but not the BIOS Settings menu. By random luck I tried an old keyboard when I noticed the ProDesk still has that connector. It worked.

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Operating-Systems-and-Recovery/can-t-get-into-bios-on-HP-ProDesk-400-G3-MT/td-p/6222325

https://www.experts-exchange.com/questions/28735821/HP-ProDesk-400-G1-MicroTower-Will-not-go-into-Bios-or-System-Utilities.html

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Boot-and-Lockup/F10-Bios/td-p/6285307

#11 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 895 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2018 - 09:40 AM

" What happens if you go back to the original video setup (meaning remove the added video card)? "

#12 Micallen

Micallen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2018 - 10:19 AM

" What happens if you go back to the original video setup (meaning remove the added video card)? "

It works fine with the onboard graphics.  I just couldn't get the video card to work, nor could I ever get it to boot into BIOS.

Micallen

#13 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,114 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2018 - 10:26 AM

Did F10 ever work???

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05381692

Is your BIOS up to date, there are some Very New BIOS Updates on the site, personally I would do this first, it may be as simple as that seeing they went to the trouble of issuing two new updates recently?

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-prodesk-400-g4-microtower-pc/15292287

I wonder if installing the "HP Hotkey Support" would fix it.  Check and see if this is Installed.  It's under "Software Solutions" at the above link.

Always keep track of what is uninstalled.

Here is what the OP at one of the top hits did, a little different than your issue and I assume the same thread John was referring to with the PS/2 fix.  After Updating the BIOS, if it don't work, maybe also taking out the CMOS and Purging with the Power Button will help:

I had to disconnect all USB cables, network cable and power cord. Then I had to remove the new hard drive from the PC, the 2 X 16GB RAM, and the NVIDIA GeForce GT 710 graphics card. I then had to remove the CMOS battery. I then had to depress the power on button for 20 seconds. I think all of this was to remove any latent energy still active. I then fitted the COMS battery, hard drive, the RAM and lastly the graphics card. I switched the PC on. F10 took be into BIOS where i was able to check that the DVD was listed in the boot up option. I inserted the Windows 10 pro operating system in the DVD drive, slected continue from BIOS and hey presto, Windows 10 Pro started installing. 

Why it got in such a pickle i don't know. there may have been some static electricity produced when i fitted the new hard drive. PC is as good as new and BTW it's £28 to extend the warranty which i will do.  Thanks, Bear.

Edited by pcpunk, 06 August 2018 - 10:31 AM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#14 Micallen

Micallen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2018 - 10:42 AM

Did F10 ever work???

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05381692

Is your BIOS up to date, there are some Very New BIOS Updates on the site, personally I would do this first, it may be as simple as that seeing they went to the trouble of issuing two new updates recently?

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-prodesk-400-g4-microtower-pc/15292287

I wonder if installing the "HP Hotkey Support" would fix it.  Check and see if this is Installed.  It's under "Software Solutions" at the above link.

Always keep track of what is uninstalled.

Here is what the OP at one of the top hits did, a little different than your issue and I assume the same thread John was referring to with the PS/2 fix.  After Updating the BIOS, if it don't work, maybe also taking out the CMOS and Purging with the Power Button will help:

I had to disconnect all USB cables, network cable and power cord. Then I had to remove the new hard drive from the PC, the 2 X 16GB RAM, and the NVIDIA GeForce GT 710 graphics card. I then had to remove the CMOS battery. I then had to depress the power on button for 20 seconds. I think all of this was to remove any latent energy still active. I then fitted the COMS battery, hard drive, the RAM and lastly the graphics card. I switched the PC on. F10 took be into BIOS where i was able to check that the DVD was listed in the boot up option. I inserted the Windows 10 pro operating system in the DVD drive, slected continue from BIOS and hey presto, Windows 10 Pro started installing. 

Why it got in such a pickle i don't know. there may have been some static electricity produced when i fitted the new hard drive. PC is as good as new and BTW it's £28 to extend the warranty which i will do.  Thanks, Bear.

Interesting.

Thank you for the info (you and others).  I have moved the PC out into the shop and will be adding 4 more GB RAM Thursday.  If after that I feel like it still needs a video card, all this info will come in handy!!  

Thanks again!

Edited by Micallen, 06 August 2018 - 10:42 AM.

Micallen

#15 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 895 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2018 - 12:14 PM

pcpunk,

Historically, the hotkey software (or quick (something, not support) on Dell's) has been the utility which gave you an onscreen display (volume up, volume down, mute, screen brightness up, etc.) when you used the hotkeys on most laptop PC's and I don't generally call it junkware that needs uninstalling.  Hp's Software Solutions or Dell's Support Assistant software are a different matter, altogether.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users