Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

.jpgs Saves As .jpegs In Ie...how Can I Change This?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Lanimilbus

Lanimilbus

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 PM

Posted 12 October 2006 - 12:14 AM

Whenever I save a .JPG from Internet Explorer it saves as a .JPEG instead, causing the file not to be recognized by some programs. If I save the same jpg file from Firefox it saves correctly as a JPG file, but for some reason every JPG file saved from IE is always saved as a JPEG...is there any way I can change this?
Thanks in advance for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 PM

Posted 12 October 2006 - 01:42 AM

JPEG -Compression scheme supported by most graphics programs and used predominantly for web use.
jpg -More common extension for JPEG described above.

Common File Format Names

Just out of curiosity, what programs don't recognize JPEG?
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Lanimilbus

Lanimilbus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2006 - 11:40 PM

When I want to make a slideshow of photos for a video in Honestech Video Editor it won't recognize the JPEGs, although it recognizes JPGs just fine. Also, some websites don't support the upload of JPEGs.
I'm still not sure why Internet Explorer saves JPGs as JPEGs for me...it didn't used to, as I remember.
If I go to save an image such as this:
http://www.ibiblio.org/Dave/Dr-Fun/faq/test.jpg
It will save as "test.jpeg" instead of its original format and name "test.jpg" and then not be compatible with some of the programs I use.

#4 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,962 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2006 - 11:52 PM

I don't have any ideas for how to solve the problem of IE creating the incorrect extension, but I do have a work-around that will allow you to see your files.

It is rather time-consuming, but this is what you can do until the problem itself is solved. Right click on the file names one by one that have the jpeg extension, click on rename. Click the mouse a couple times in the spot where you want to delete the 'e' and make sure that the entire name isn't highlighted. Now highlight the letter 'e' and hit the delete key then hit enter. You now have renamed that file from whatever.jpeg to whatever.jpg and will open in the programs you use.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 PM

Posted 13 October 2006 - 12:07 AM

There are many freeware batch rename utilities that allow you to change the file extension of files within, say, a folder. This would simplify the task.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 Lanimilbus

Lanimilbus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2006 - 12:51 PM

I found a solution on my own; for anyone else who's experiencing the same problem of JPGs saving as JPEGs in Internet Explorer, here's what to do to fix it:

1. Go to Start - Run - run regedit.exe
2. Open the left pane to "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MIME\Database\Content Type\image/jpeg" and highlight it.
3. In the right pane double click on "Extension" and change the value from ".jpeg" to ".jpg" (including the leading period)

That should fix the problem; now when I save a .JPG it saves as a .JPG like it should, instead of a .JPEG like it did before I changed the value in regedit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users